Thirty Second Chapter

Someone once claimed that love is the strongest emotion. That it conquers all. No one ever mentioned the presence of love generates hurdles to conquer. There would be no problems if there was no love, hence, love is the problem. Love, or rather the lovers. Because the emotion isn't imperfect, the person is.

The same love that forms relationship, holds marriages together, and spawns pure, innocent babies. That same love can feel like torture, it can ruin you and break you and turn you into someone completely different. Because just like with any power, there comes great responsibility.

They were on a date. Jordan wanted to officially ask Bridgett to be her girlfriend, as well as confess her undying love for her.

She had it planned out perfectly. The wine house was theirs for the night. They would taste some wines, have some food, and then finally she would make the big reveal. Ian had suggested something flamboyant. A dancing parade with a banner that would have the big question written across it. But Jordan refused. She wanted it to be small and special. Most importantly, she wanted to say it herself. She wanted to feel the words as they left her nervous lips, so one day they can laugh about how unsure she was about such a sure thing.

But that didn't happen. Because halfway through wine tasting, things got a little heated. And it began with a simple, yet lurid statement.

"Andrew has been so great with Lily these days."

Jordan had something she recognized as white wine and what Bridgett explained was a Moscato (a sweet, Italian, white wine) on her hand, just about to sip it when the ghastly words forbid her.

The 'Andrew' she was referring to, was Lily's father. Although, in Jordan's brain, he's better known as the ex that lives with her.

She stares at her glass of wine, trying her best not to show that she was highly agitated by the sound of the man's name leaving Bridgett's lips. Jealousy was the cause of it. If she could control the feeling, she would. But it burdened her heart every single day, no matter how hard she tries to hide it.

At first she dissembles the words, taking a shy sip of her wine, then rotating the glass to create a circular current of the liquid.

Bridgett doesn't seem to notice her annoyed mood, as she continues.

"I woke up this morning and he'd made her cereal." Jordan rolled her eyes. How thoughtful of him to make his daughter something to eat when she's hungry instead of waking Bridgett up to do it. "She looked so happy seeing her father. I didn't even think she would remember him. I guess kids have better memory than we think."

"Mhm." Jordan hums with disinterest.

"You should see the way he plays with her-"

"Bree, I really don't give a fuck." she interrupts her. "Can we please talk about something more interesting?"

Bridgett, clearly offended, frowns at her. "I'm sorry. You're the one who asked how my week has been."

"Because I wanted to hear about you, not him."

"Well, he's the reason I've had a good week. That's why I'm mentioning him."

The issue in Bridgett's sentence was the wording. She could've articulated her words in a way that wouldn't make Jordan assume that Andrew was the highlight of her week.

That insinuation led Jordan to believe that he was still important to her in some way, which technically he is. Just not in the falling back into love sort of way as Jordan assumes. Bridgett just wants her daughter to have a relationship with her father.

"Good to know." Jordan mumbles, making no attempt to hide how bothered she was.

Bridgett notices, letting a sigh leave her throat. "That's not how I meant it."