Chapter 50 (Part I)

Start from the beginning

"Shidi, I do not think our sect leader will be too pleased to hear what you just said." The seniormost Nie disciple scolded his junior surprising Wen Ning the most. "Don't you remember our sect leader specifically told us that Se..." he tried to say senior Wen, but even he could not get himself to call Wen Ning by that. So, he settled with, "Wen Qiong Lin was one of his classmates when he was studying at the Lan sect?" Huai Sang, made sure to tell his disciples this, before they left to the Nightless city, knowing well that there will be some hostility towards the ghost general in their hearts. And the Nie disciples could very well see that the reason their sect leader said that was because he did not want any of them to engage in such behaviour.

The first disciple was not so pleased to be opposed and silenced by his senior like this. He frowned his brows and was contemplating on a retort when Si Zhui spoke without letting him open his mouth. "Senior Wen, what do you suggest we do now?"

"Ah... A-Yuan... I... I... we..."

"Yes, senior Wen," Jing Yi also joined seeing what Si Zhui is up to. "since things have come to this, you have to decide what we should do next. Should we just leave, or continue searching the books here or do something else?"

"Ah... Jing Yi... what do you think..."

"How can I think, senior Wen? I'm not the one that knows about the Nightless City. This is your mission. We just came to aid you. So, whatever we are going to do next is, exactly whatever you want to do."

"Actually, I... I wanted to suggest something." Wen Ning said not sure whether he should say this or not. "Only the Wen clan members have access to this library. So, I thought... we might be able to find something... something useful here." He found the fact that all eyes were upon him to be very disheartening. But he only focused on Si Zhui and Jing Yi and continued. "But I guess the late Wen leaders were even more possessive about their knowledge. It will be better if we could get into those secret chambers and store rooms late sect leader Jin was able to get into during the Sun-shot campaign."

"Okay then, what are we waiting for? Let's go." Jing Yi said excitedly. He felt like they were on a very adventurous tressure hunt.

"Young master Jing Yi, the problem is... that... even though I know which area they are in... I... I have no idea about their specific locations, or... or how to get into them." He said feeling guilty that he could not contribute further.

"Senior Wen, that's okay," Si Zhui reassured him. "Since late sect leader Jin was able to find them himself, while sneaking under the eyes of all the Wen sect members present, I believe our chances of finding them are high."

"But Si Xiong, they say that this Jin Guang Yao is very smart, and that's why he was able to locate them." One of his friends said getting a little demotivated.

"So?" Jing Yi asked. "So are we."

Seeing that it was the best option they got, if they did not want to return back and just tell that their whole mission was a failure, the others also agreed to try and find these hidden chambers.

The Lan and Nie disciples had thought they have seen it all in the Scorching Sun Palace. But as they followed Wen Ning to this new area, they realised that they were wrong. It was a collection of very luxurious mansions. Some were large and some small, just carrying a room or so. But their structures were very well decorated. It was a pity to see those beautiful architecture being covered in dust and cobwebs and rotting away as no human had visited them for decades.

"Ah, senior Wen, this area is very large indeed," Jing Yi asked puzzled, "but how come we missed this whole thing as we searched the premises?"

"Young master Jing Yi, it is not a surprise that you missed it. And it is for the best."