Chapter 12 (Part I)

Jin Ling wished he could just disappear from the conference hall. This discussion or meeting or whatever they wanted to call it didn't seem to end in years. He wished he could wonder off to the wood again and play with Fairy. He might even get to meet that girl again.

He really thought nobody could be worse than those two disciples who were fighting for the sect leader position and his distant aunt, who is claiming that the position of the sect leader should be offered to her dumb ass son, just because he is ten years older than Jin Ling. The two disciples were claiming that they would do a better job than himself as sect leader because their cultivation level was higher.

His distant cousin, the aunt's son, had a lot of followers, and the elders who were unwilling to bow to him because he was also young, was willing to support either one of the two disciples.

But alas, he had completely forgotten that he had a distant uncle as well. He knew that Jin Chan was distantly related to him somehow. But he never imagined his family was a well off and well-known family and his father is even worse than his aunt. Jin Chan's father entered the hall like he already owned the place and was spouting about how he is fit for the role because he is wealthy in money, cultivation and family and was hinting how poor Jin Ling is, when it came to supporters as well as wisdom.

Even though Jin Ling swore to himself that he has a bigger brain than that decaying man, he was getting angrier by the minute because he couldn't really argue with the rest of his claims.

After a heavy attempt, he managed to calm down his anger at least to return to the present and listen to what else he was lacking.

His aunt was speaking, "... there used to be a lot of banquets. All the sect leaders of the well-known clans were waiting to receive their invitations to our banquets and all the other events that we arranged. And the ones who did not get invited would feel sorry for themselves. Everyone was well aware of our prosperity. Well, those banquets never let anyone doubt our prosperity. I'm afraid lately, the lack of governing has brought us into a situation where others think that we have completely lost our colours. How shameful." She made a face like she was really troubled by it.

Jin Ling thought what was shameful was her own words. And as for the magnificent banquets and events that she talked about, it seemed everyone in the hall had forgotten or were very happy to behave like they were not the hard work of their latest Clan leader.

Jin Ling turned around to glance at the empty seat of the Jin clan's leader. He dared not yet sit on it. He also wished that that seat was not empty. He wished that his uncle Jin was there handling all this ridiculous nonsense so he could just sit at a seat near the back and just walk into his dreamland, just letting others think that he was there because he was so interested in politics.

He suddenly realised Jin Chan's father was staring right at him. He then looked at his aunt. "Madam Jin, I'm sure all this was to blame on that son of a prostitute. Our Clan would not have come to meet this shame if it wasn't for him. But I'm afraid his death was not the end of it." The whole crowd fell silent and strained their ears. They were either genuinely scared or was eager for some new gossip. "Hasn't this kid been under his wings as he grew up," he said fearlessly pointing at Jin Ling. "A shame that his parents weren't present."

A slight crackling noise came from the far corner of the hall. Jiang Cheng was sitting at one of the far seats. Jin Ling hadn't even noticed that he was there until that moment. Either Jin Ling had been too drowned in this mess to notice or Jiang Cheng had secretly entered after the meeting had started. He was sitting very straight with his hands crossed in front of him. He was looking straight ahead, his face expressionless, like a sculpture carved from ice. But his right hand was gleaming with purple flashes from Zidian.