Chapter 9

Jin Ling flew straight away to Lanling after parting with Wei Wu Xian, not waiting to return with the rest of his sect. The others seeing this would have definitely counted it as rude and arrogant behaviour. He knew he shouldn't be doing such things. Especially in a time where others' favour counted the most. But the scowl on Jin Chan's face was totally worth it. Jin Ling liked the fact that this way he could avoid Jin Chan and his gang at least until they got back to Lanling. Even though it would be a few hours, that moment of peace was totally worth it.

The moment of peace that he could spend with Fairy jumping all over him. He loved being buried in the furriness of the big dog. This was the real reason he wanted to rush back to Carp Tower. From the day his uncle Jin brought Fairy to Carp tower to the day he passed away, Jin Ling never really went anywhere without Fairy.

And after what happened, the whole Sect had become a mess. They were most definitely no longer the top-ranking Sect in the Cultivational World. So, he had no time to go on night hunting away from Lanling. This was the first time he went away for this long, and he decided to leave Fairy. And boy, did he regret it?

The fact that Jin Chan and the others laughed at him saying he was nothing without his spiritual dog was already annoying. But it was a known fact that Fairy was a gift from the former sect leader who had become the most hated person... well at least at the present. And he didn't want to be seen with Fairy, for people surely do like to talk and make their own stories about things that they have nothing to do with.

This was not the entire truth. Jin Ling knew he, like a coward, was venting his anger on Fairy. He didn't know what else to do. He had nobody to blame. Well, at least nobody alive that he could vent his anger on. So, without even realising the stupid thing he was doing, he started to direct his hate towards Fairy, because he was Jin Guang Yao's gift, and preferred to at least momentarily forget how much of a loving and loyal friend Fairy have always been.

But the few days he spent away from Fairy was more than enough for him to realise his mistake. His heart was immediately heavy with regret. He knew how much Fairy hated being left alone so he rushed to his chambers, calling for him. Upon hearing his name, he expected Fairy to immediately bolt towards him with a wagging tail. But even after looking all over his chambers, there was no sign of Fairy. He went out to the gardens and searched them too. When no Fairy was found, he started growing anxious, for Fairy would never leave his house without him.

Something was definitely off. He made sure to leave more than enough food for Fairy, so he didn't have any reason to search for food elsewhere. He went to check the bowls. They were mostly empty which meant Fairy had been around at least until yesterday. Not even that greedy dog could gulp that much food in a shorter time.

If something happened to Fairy because he was a few hours late, he wouldn't even bare to forgive himself. It was Wei Wu Xian's fault that he got a few hours late. During these past few months, he had tried really hard to demolish his hatred towards Wei Wu Xian. So, at least for Wei Ying's sake Fairy better be alive.

Jin Ling started to run all over the place, at first shouting Fairy's name, but then he stopped for he noticed that it drew a lot of attention. But his footsteps didn't slow at all. Not shouting didn't help that much in drawing less attention, for people had rarely seen a Sect leader, even a potential one running around like a headless chicken.

Finally, when he came near the very back of the Carp Tower, he could hear Fairy barking. Even though he couldn't see it was Fairy he immediately knew it was him. He stopped right away, afraid that Fairy might be in trouble and was calling for help. But it was a happy bark. He could not imagine why the hell would Fairy be happy, especially when he wasn't around to play with him. He started following the sound.