Chapter 23

Fan Liu Ya slowly stepped towards the front doorway of the Lotus Pier. She was really second-guessing her choice. Her father definitely wasn't pleased when he heard that she was going to the Jiang sect to become a disciple. She knew her father would be more relieved if she chose another sect. But none of the other sects in Yunmeng has the same reputation as the Jiang sect. And on top of that, she really wanted to see Jiang Wan Yin again.

She wondered what sort of a person he was. He was well dressed, which meant that he had to have a high position in the sect. But was it high enough to the point he could protect her from that monstrous sect leader if needed? No matter how eager and excited she was about joining the Jiang sect, she couldn't stop thinking about what it would be like to be under such a leader.

The sound of training drifted to her ears, and she stopped on her steps. She and her brother had snuck up to the walls of the Lotus Pier and had climbed to nearby trees to see the disciples train when they were young. But right now, she felt so scared to even go near. But she had to. She couldn't just give up on her life-long dream just because she was scared. She pictured the handsome face of Jiang Wan Yin and took a deep breath, and started walking forward. And who knows? If she was lucky, Jiang Wan Yin could turn out to be pretty rich and powerful too. If so, she would have such an awesome friend.

She was finally there. She was finally in front of the main doorway. She had always dreamt of stepping through it, and here she was finally about to do it. She felt like her whole body was shivering. There were two or three disciples scattered in the front yard, but they didn't seem like they could be bothered by a random maiden standing on their doorway. She decided they won't try to kill her if she entered either. So, she took another deep breath and stepped inside.

Yong Liang was so glad that no one else was looking. But he couldn't understand why the two male disciples in the side of the front yard were not glaring at this maiden. She was so breathtaking. She looked very fragile with her soft features. But the arrogant set to her mouth showed that she was anything but.

She was standing there in the front yard, looking every which way. Yong Liang walked up to her. His heartbeat was rising, but he didn't stop, for he didn't want anyone else to approach her. "Maiden, is there anything I can help you with?" But the girl just started to stare at him without answering the question. He started feeling awkward and self-conscious. Wanting to end the awkward silence, he decided to ask a second question. "Maiden, is there anyone that you are looking for?"

Only after hearing the second question did Liu Ya realise that she didn't yet answer the first question. When this master asked her that question, she knew she had to answer it. Eventually, she was going to. But she was too busy admiring him she didn't realise a considerable time passed had by. "Ah, mmm, yes, I actually... well..."

"Don't be nervous. Speak up. I would do my best to help you with what you want."

"Ah, it's just..." But how can she say that she came here to become a disciple? She felt like if she told this master the other master's name, he would accuse her of lying about knowing him. And if she asked to be a disciple, he might even laugh at her, saying someone as low as her is not acceptable. She knew that she didn't deserve to hear any of that. But for some reason, she knew that if this master laughed at her, it would break her heart. But why? She wouldn't let herself be if she fell in love with someone so easily. But had she?

"Maiden, don't be nervous."

Yes, he said that. But how can she not be nervous when he was smiling at her like that? Was he really expecting her to think straight when he was smiling at her like that? But, no. She's not going to be this person who melts in front of a handsome guy. So, she gathered her wits and spoke up. "I came here to be a disciple."