Chapter 15 (Part I)

"Okay, you can stop looking at me like that now." Hong Guang said to her sister.

"Like what?" Xing Juan replied like she was talking to a baby.

"If you want to look at someone like they are out of their mind, look at your fiancé. He was the one who started running first." Hong Guang was so annoyed.

"No, I'm not. I'm just looking at you like you are an idiot."

"You decided to marry him. You are the idiot."

"You are a little bitch." Xing Juan spat and walked towards Yong Zheng who had already started to prepare dinner for them.

Both the sisters were impressed how Yong Zheng managed to find a safe spot and make camp in such a short time. They were even more grateful that he used a fire talisman instead of rubbing stones for hours to make a fire. This was the first time he had used any sort of power in front of them. They have never even seen him unsheathe his sword.

After Hong Guang and Yong Zheng heard the noise, they both started running like crazy. It was so hard with all the bundles they were carrying. But when they got near to the other two, they were looking at them running, like they were crazy. Hong Guang knew they looked crazy and even drunk, but how could the other two girls be so calm after that noise?

Just a few seconds of conversations brought her the answers. They hadn't heard a thing. It wasn't possible. Both Hong Guang and Yong Zheng were puzzled. How can that even make sense. That noise was so loud. They felt the whole ground shake with it.

But no matter how much they told that the noise was real and scary, Xing Juan dismissed it saying that they must have been scared and had imagined it. She looked like she was in a better mood, or she was faking it so well. Some colour had returned to her face, so Hong Guang thought it was better than nothing.

Yong Zheng told her about their aunt and that their parents were missing. But he didn't say anything about anything else. As exhausted as Hong Guang was, she didn't care to elaborate either.

Hong Guang looked to her left and saw the other girl sitting on a rock, hunched and her hands were wrapped around herself. She felt so sad just by looking at her. At least she had her sister, and if she was willing to accept it, she had Yong Zheng as well. But this girl was all alone in the middle of this crisis.

She went and sat near her. "Hi..." She was about to ask whether she was okay, but she clearly wasn't. So she changed her question. "So, we got our things, but what about yours."

"I will get them in the morning second lady Xia, before we leave to the town."

"Are we gonna leave to the town right away?"

"Yes, I think so. Your sister seems like she wants to get away from here. And she doesn't seem so pleased to live under the trees."

"Oh, why am I not surprised? I was so surprised that she didn't whine about it. Seemed like she did her whining while we were gone then. She despises nature." They both laughed at this.

"How come? Nature is so beautiful. I really loved walking in the forest with my father." But at the mention of her father, the girl's face darkened again.

Hong Guang remembered the walks she took inside the forest with her own family. She and her father laughing and joking about things, looking all around them to absorb their surroundings. Their mother a few steps behind, complaining how tired she was. But Xing Juan a few steps ahead wanting to get away from the sun and bugs and go home as fast as she could.

Sometimes their father took them to small openings inside forests to teach them little fighting techniques as well. Despite Xing Juan's objection to where these classes took place, she never missed any. But their mother was very opposing, saying that fighting is not something young ladies should be doing, so despite their willingness, they only got to learn a little.