34

Ellis' world was falling apart around her yet again. She had phoned into work sick one too many times for her bosses liking and he had told her not to come back. She had also lost Lando over her insecurities. She stayed in her flat for days on end, only going out to get food now and then. She was even considering moving back to her parents but she couldn't face telling them everything. Emily knew of course and was really worried. "You need to get fresh air El. And wash your hair!" She could always count on Emily for honesty.

Lando had kept calling, FaceTiming and sending messages but she still hadn't responded. She didn't really know what to say. She was angry and hurt but she was frightened actually speaking to him would make everything worse.

***

Lando had his race in Spain that afternoon then would be getting the first flight back to London. He needed to see her. He was worried she had done something to herself. She seemed too broken and rather than making her feel safe and loved he had screwed it up. He knew something had happened in her past, she never spoke of anything but there was always a glint of pain behind her eyes.

Lando was about to leave for the track when his best friend and housemate Max phoned. "He bud, any news? Lando asked eagerly. "Erm not really. I went to the coffee place but the guy said she doesn't work there anymore. He hasn't seen or spoke to her in a couple of weeks". "Look mate, is this all really worth it? I know you said you fell for her but she's gone into hiding for a reason."  Lando felt the anger rage inside his chest. What would Max know about anything? He didn't ask for his advice.

The mix of worry and anger seemed to be good for Lando as he finished the race in P4. The team were delighted and wanted to celebrate but he got changed and left for the airport as soon as the press stuff was out of the way. Whilst he was waiting at the airport he searched Ellis' instagram for Emily's profile.
"Hey! I know you think I'm the bad guy but I promise I didn't do anything with that girl. I love Ellis! I even told her that in Edinburgh. I'm about to board a flight to London and I'm going straight to her flat. I know she won't willingly let me in, I need your help! Please. Lando".

He landed in London at 8pm and switched his phone on. Loads of messages pinged up on his screen congratulating him on the race and some of the drivers checking in because he had just disappeared. He cleared them all without replying and clicked into his instagram. Emily had accepted his message and responded;
"Lando, I don't really know what to say. Ellis is not in a good way but if you feel she is worth fighting for I will help. The code to the main door of her building is A7093. Let me know when you're near her front door and I will message her to say something is getting delivered from me. Good luck! Emily.
PS. If this isn't real love for you, walk away now. She can't take more heartbreak

Lando read the message and silently thanked Emily. Charlotte had organised a car to be waiting for him to pick up outside the airport so he didn't have to waste time going back to Woking for his. He put Ellis' address in and set off. After 45 minutes driving, he pulled up outside Ellis' flat and text Emily.

"Here goes nothing I suppose" he muttered to himself as he climbed the stairs.