Chapter 25- The Domino Effect

--Maria POV--

I didn't think things would be as easy as they've become. Revenge was a difficult game to play, or at least, I had thought it was. Maybe it's because my opponents were so bad at the game that winning is simply too easy for me, but I wasn't complaining.

One incident at a time, I would keep chipping away at their act until they were left bare for the world to see. And thanks to Leandro and his unthought actions, my next move isn't going to be a simple chip at the facade, but rather a good kick.

"Maria, wait." Lev's voice called out as he grabbed my hand, stopping me in my steps as I turned to face him, oh right, I'd almost forgotten about how he overheard that conversation. Him, along with a number of other people, but while I didn't care about them, the same can't be said about him since he's my only good friend.

"What is it?" I asked, wondering if I should tell him the full truth or as I usually did, give him a version of the truth mixed in with some lies? I guess that would depend on how important of a friend I see him as.

"What do you think? Is what that man said true? The one where you got an abortion?" His eyes and voice were filled with concern, that should be answer enough for me.

"...Yes. It is." I whispered, struggling to meet his eyes.

"So, you and him used to date-"

"-No." I quickly cut him off, and a bit too angrily at the mere thought of dating Leandro. Quickly composing myself, I breathed out a deep sigh, picking my eyes up to meet his.

"Can I tell you the full truth? From beginning to end with no more lies? And can you still love me as you do right now? You know I'm a scaredy cat, Lev. I don't want to lose you." Unintentionally, I found myself speaking words so truthful that they were a surprise to myself as well as him.

While he'd been surprised from hearing my words, he blinked it away as he smiled at me, hands resting on my cheeks, his thumbs stroked back and forth, his actions giving me an answer even before he confirmed it with his words.

"You are more important to me than anyone else in this world, like a little sister. If you trust me with your truth then I will do well to take it on. And no matter what you do, I can never find myself to hate you, trust me when I say that." So, I did.

"Let's go somewhere more private then. This isn't a conversation to be had in the open." I smiled lightly as he nodded, leading the way into an empty office, and as I sat on the patient's bed, he came to sit beside me, waiting for me to speak first.

"I was bullied in high school to a degree that it could no longer be considered simple bullying, it's a miracle that I'm still alive today. That man that was here today, Narciso De Santis and his wife were the creators of my Hell; While he raped and sexually assaulted me, she broke my bones, and drowned me multiple times..." That's how I started telling him everything.

"He got me pregnant at some point, and I found myself wanting to keep the child, not because of him, but because of the child. But Giana threatened me to abort it, and my naive self was too scared to go against her." One story at a time, I went through my memory lane as I spilled everything to him like a popped soda can.

"Remember when I told you that I wanted to be a baseballer? Giana took that dream from me. And remember when you asked me why I was so withdrawn in med school? It's because those demons traumatised me too much to be able to get close to anyone anymore. Of course, you changed that. You're an important friend to me, Lev." Head falling to rest on his shoulder, his arm wove around my shoulder as he kissed the top of my head.

"What are we going to do about it? The police clearly aren't of much help." I couldn't help but smile as I heard his words. We? I no longer felt so alone in this revenge plan. Thanks to him and Leandro, what was once a solo-player game, had become a triple.