Chapter 5- The Door to Peace

--Maria POV--

It was a busy week of work with an influx of patients, and having been assigned to work at the ER didn't mean I was getting anywhere near enough rest. If I weren't busying myself with patients, then I would unconsciously take any opportunity to fall asleep.

"Can I see the patient file for Jared Smith?" I yawned as I asked one of the nurses, leaning against the desk as she went to get me the said file, coming back with it within a minute as I opened it up, reading over it as I retied my hair, rubbing at my tired eyes a moment later.

"Tired?" She asked, a knowing look on her face.

"Which doctor or nurse at the ER isn't tired?" I laughed, but stopped as my vision blurred for a second. Now that I think about it, when was the last time that I slept?

"But still, you've been working nonstop for a while. You should go lie down in the dorms for even a few hours if you can, I'm sure one of the other residents will be fine with covering for you in that time." I shook my head, rejecting the idea. I refuse to depend on anyone, I'm a big enough burden as it is, I don't need to add to it.

"Morning sunshine! Isn't it a beautiful day today?" An absurdly happy ray of said sunshine strolled into the room as I watched him approaching me with a large grin on his face. Platinum blonde hair freshly dyed, and brown eyes with the glowing light of life, a stark contrast to the rest of the workers in this institute.

Lev, my best friend, has always been a bit of an unintentional player. He falls in love as quickly as he falls out of it, and none of his relationships seem to be able to last much longer than the last. But props to him, he's still good friends with all his ex's.

"How long do you think this will last?" I leaned in towards the nurse, whispering.

"All his relationships are lasting longer and longer each time. Since the last one lasted a week, I'm going to bet two weeks tops for this one." She whispered as I hummed, nodding my head since her theory made sense.

"I'll bet a month. He seems happier in this relationship compared to the last." We both shared a look as he stopped in front of me, grinning at me with open arms, waiting for a hug as I sighed, rolling my eyes but walking into his embrace, nonetheless.

"Hey, why do you look like you're on the brink of death? When was the last time you slept?" He stepped back, hands holding my cheeks as his eyes scanned over my tired body.

"Too long ago." The nurse cut in as I glared at her sheepish smile.

"Maria Saxena, tell me the truth." And having gotten too used to this look, I counted the days on my fingers as I thought back to when I last got a good night of sleep, and he watched me go onto my second hand, and lost his sparkling aura.

"Maria! Off to bed with you this instance! How can a doctor take such terrible care of their health!?" He didn't even give me a chance to speak, turning me around as he pushed me by the shoulders towards the dormitories while I resisted.

"I'll get some sleep when I'm done looking at the rest of my patients. Dr Caravella already gave me a good scolding this morning for putting one extra stitch on a patient, I don't want to imagine what he'll do when he sees someone else filling in for me." I sighed, pushing him away as his concerned eyes swept over my body.

"That ridiculous doctor, could they not have given a nicer supervisor to you? You're such an angel, how could he think to even treat you like this..." Raising my hand, I flicked his forehead as he hissed in pain, glaring at me a moment later.

"Go get into your scrubs and do your own work. I'll finish off my shift then get some sleep." I assured, adding a smile to my face for extra affirmation, and while he didn't believe it, he gave in, knowing that I was far too tired to bicker with him.