Chapter 21- A Dish Served Cold

--Maria POV--

You have been invited to the opening party of our newest Hotel that is part of the Ajello Hotel Chain. We are looking forward to seeing you at 5 pm on the 24th of-

Reading over the invitation one last time, I put the folded envelope into my purse, catching one last glance at myself in the mirror to make sure I looked good, and satisfied with my appearance, I left the building to get to the waiting car at the car park.

Wearing a violet-coloured dress that trailed down to the ground with an A-line bodice and spaghetti straps, the dress cinched against the curves of my body with a long slit on the side, and strings tied across the back, and to go with the small white flowers on the bodice, I wore a pair of white ankle-strapped stiletto heels while my hair rested in a messy bun, strands neatly framing my face with simple make-up, and minimal jewellery.

"You look amazing as per usual, I see." Lev grinned, dramatically bowing down as I laughed with an eyeroll, getting into the passenger seat as he opened the door for me.

"It says you can take a plus one, are you sure you don't want to? It's not too late to ask me, I've always got a tux waiting in the boot." He asked, sparing me a glance every few seconds as he spoke, gesturing to the back of the car where his tux was supposedly located.

"You're a good friend, and I appreciate you for always helping me. But no, I don't need a plus one today, I don't plan on staying for too long anyway." I dismissed, not wanting to worry him, and it seemed to work as he hummed, turning the radio on while the rest of the journey was enveloped in our light chatter.

Honestly speaking, Leandro was supposed to have been by my side today, but I couldn't bring myself to contact him, turning back every time I went to message or call him since I couldn't help but keep thinking about that last conversation we shared. And he's either in the same boat as me or he's given up on the revenge.

And, not to mention, I've got a date to go on with Daniel tomorrow. And as of yet, I'm still wondering how I should tell my best friend about this, it'll either go really well or not.

"We're here." Lev spoke, driving up to the hotel as the valet rushed down to open the door for me, and before I stepped out, I turned over to hug my best friend.

"Wish me luck." I whispered, getting out of the vehicle while waving goodbye.

"You don't need luck, set the place on fire like I know you will." And throwing me a kiss, he zoomed off as I stared after him long after the car had disappeared.

"This way ma'am. May I please see your invitation?" The security guard asked with an outstretched hand after I turned to enter the large building, pulling the said invitation out before handing it to him, and nodding in approval, he pointed out the directions to the party room.

"Have a great time." He spoke as I thanked him, doubting I would, but not voicing my thoughts aloud, I simply strolled down the glistening marble hallways, finding myself looking over the intricate designs. I had to give it to Giana, as rotten as she was, her family knew how to design a hotel, it was beautiful.

Thoughts coming to a skidding halt, I found myself stood at the entrance of the party, hundreds of people already filled the room with glasses of champagne in their hands as they conversed with one another while others danced to the classical music. It was a brightly lit golden room with fancy tiled flooring, and a large chandelier hanging from the ceiling, almost like a palace. And as out of place as I felt, I didn't let those thoughts seep through, straightening my posture and breathing in a deep breath.

Now, it's time for me to make my next move on this chessboard of revenge.

Stepping forward, one step at a time, I made my presence known with every person I walked past, picking my resting face up into a friendlier one, my eyes glanced around the room as I widened my smile every time my eyes accidentally met someone else's.