Chapter 23- Enemy of Mine

--Maria POV--

"Why are you fighting like such uncivilised people in the middle of a party? Have some shame." I found myself scolding them, specifically Leandro, before I even understood what was happening, but he had it coming so you couldn't blame me.

What was he doing here? And dressed as a policeman to add to it.

"He started it." Daniel muttered, glaring at the man as he glared right back at him, and I couldn't help but wonder if my boss knew just who Leandro was then would he still be talking to him the same? I couldn't tell.

"I don't care who started it. Will you let go of me!?" I snapped, pulling my hand free from Leandro with a frustrated huff, and he didn't do anything against it, an odd, maybe jealous, look in his eyes as he stared at me, looking like he had something to say.

"What are you doing here, Leandro?" I asked, getting back to the main topic at hand.

"As I've already stated, I came here for you. Do you know how worried I-" He cut himself off, surprised by what he was about to say, and he wasn't the only one for I too found myself blinking in surprise.

And after a moment of tense silence, he breathed out a deep, frustrated sigh, running his fingers through his blonde locks, and green eyes focusing in on me as though I were the cause of all his problems... Was I?

"We're partners, all of this isn't just for you, but for me as well. You... We both need each other, so no matter how irked you get with me, don't put yourself in danger because of it. Instead, just take it out on me, I'll let you... So, please, just look out for yourself more, that's all I'm asking." He suddenly looked so deflated. 

Seeing him like this took me off-guard. Our relationship which has always been a confusing one has somehow gotten even more confusing. I found comfort and laughter in him before, but now it was more complex. I was supposed to be frustrated, but here I am wondering what's going through his mind instead.

"I understand." Is all I found myself saying instead, looking away from him and to the ground.

"How are you both partners?" I'd almost forgotten about Daniel. He'd been silently standing beside us this whole time, listening to the conversation unfold with no clue of the context.

"Nothing that a little boy like you should be worrying about." Leandro just had to beat me in speaking, apparently not having learnt much from my prior scolding.

"Excuse me? What the- Who the hell are you calling a little boy? Why is someone as rude as you even hanging around Maria? You have nothing in common." I never thought a day would come where I get to see Dr Daniel Caravella so vexed. He who was always so quietly composed had gotten his feathers ruffled by Leandro.

And Leandro, the man in question, was getting entertainment out of it. At the very least, I could tell that he wasn't speaking with any evil intentions this time.

"And how would you know that?" Leandro smirked, looking down at the man as he shoved his hands into his pockets.

"I'm her co-worker. I've known her longer than you." What was this conversation even about?

"Time does not equate to feeling. You may have known her for longer but just how much of that time was spent getting to know each other? Since your co-workers, you probably only talked about work, right? Me and Maria, however, we're like two peas in a pod..." I sighed, rubbing my temples as I watched the scene unfold, too tired to say anything.

"I'm going to the washroom." And then I'll get a drink to numb myself from their drama, and then I'll head home and get some much-needed rest. The very thought of my bed had me yawning as I strolled away from them, leaving their bickering selves behind.