His Mistake!

Nisha's pov:

"Are you sure I look fine?" For the fourth time, I asked Abhi.

"Nisha, you look fine. Infact, you look amazing but, let's just go now. We can't be late anymore now." He assured me and we walked towards the living room.

Very different from the usual scenarios, the living room was all silent. Just as they call it 'The Pin Drop Silence'.

Mumma and Papa were sitting on one couch and Rishabh Bhai's parents, who stayed last night were sitting on another couch. Just only that I could see a lady having her back covered by the hem of her saree. Nothing too bright, the colour was a normal white and golden colour, generally worn by older ladies. I couldn't see her face but, from her straight posture and that awkward demeanour in the room, anyone would be afraid of her.

"Ohh, here are the children. Come Abhi." Mummy said as soon as she saw us coming.

Just as Mummy addressed us, everyone turned their faces towards us except Nani.

I could feel that jittery feeling in my stomach one feels when being extremely nervous. Taking a deep breath to ease that feeling, I walked infront of her along with Abhi and that's when I saw her.

Wrinkles marked her face indicating that she has seen the world way more than us and that she was proud of that. Those wrinkled marked the map of tales telling stories her smiles and sorrows that she has went through with her life. The way her eyebrows knitted together and the way her eyes scanned me up and down gave me concern and nervousness more than anything could give.

"How are you Nani?" Abhi said as soon as we both touched her feet to take her feet but, nothing came in response.

"I am fine. Slightly upset that you got too busy with your "Family" that you had no time to come visit me since months. So, I myself had to come to see you." Saying the word 'Family' in a manner that it meant taunt, she lovingly caressed Abhi's head.

"I am so sorry Nani. But, what do I do? You know, I have been very occupied with a lot of things these past few months. But, no worries now. You are here. Don't worry, I will make it up to you now." Abhi answered while I was still standing there completely clueless of how I should react, acknowledging the fact that she completely ignored me.

I looked at Mummy and that's when she intervened.

"Aunty, she is Nisha. Your Abhi's wife. Your grand-daughter in law." She spoke.

"Hmm." What? Was that the only reaction I was going to get from her.

Everyone in the room stared at each other, completely shocked to her reaction.

Abhi looked at me giving me a assuring look and said to Nani, "I know that you are not happy with this Nani and I am extremely sorry for how this happened. But, believe me, we had no other way nor, did we have time. I promise that I was going to tell you about all this Nani, but one after the other things kept happening and I didn't get time to just set things right with you. I am sorry Nani." Abhi held her hand as he spoke but, her face remained straight as it was before and she still kept quite.

After a minute of very awkward and uncomfortable silence in the room, she looked up.

"You know what Abhi, I am not at all shocked with this. I somewhere knew that these so called parents of yours, who claim to love you like their own, will definitely get you married to the girl they want one day and prove that you love them more than me and that they are superior over me. I always knew this and you know what, they won today.

You have become theirs completely. You have made me like I am no one to you now."

And, that was her blow. A big one.