Chapter Seventeen

"He's dead," Kimberly let out in a croaking voice, her eyes teary, "Dante you killed him, you, you killed him."

I stood up, picked up the gun and pointed it at her. She started to fidget on the bed, "No, please Dante, please don't kill me."

"I'm not gonna fuckin' kill you," I staggered towards her. The room was starting to move. I needed to be fast or else I would black out. I took the handcuff keys out of my pocket when I reached the bed and I uncuffed her. She didn't move, she was in too much shock to do anything other than let out silent cries.

"What happened didn't happen," I said sitting on the edge of the bed, my legs were beginning to feel weak, "Am I making myself clear?"

She nodded her head in response.

"Speak up."

Her voice was hoarse and tears began to flow from her eyes, "Yes."

"I'm gonna give you some cash and you're going to leave the city tonight. Don't tell anyone, just, just disappear. Am I clear?"

"Yes."

"Get up," I played with the gun in my hand and her eyes became wide, "Get up, come on."

She got off the bed and started to get dressed. I watched her until she was done and got up as well.

"Don't try anything stupid. I don't give a fuck about you so it won't hurt to hurt you."

I got up, picked a container that had gasoline and started pouring it everywhere in the room. And when I was done I handed it to Kimberly, telling her to pour it on the ground as we were walking out. I went to where Sandile lay and lifted his body over my shoulder. He was a bit heavy considering the fact that I was a bit disorientated and my surroundings were really spinning at that time.

"Take that camera," I commanded Kimberly and she did as told before following me out. She poured the gasoline on the floor until we were out of the of the building. I handed her a matchbox, "Light the place up."

"Dante ---"

"Just shut up and do what I said."

She lit a matchstick and threw it where she'd poured the gasoline and it caught fire. We picked up the pace and moved towards my car. I put Sandile in the trunk, Kimberly sat in the back sit and as soon as I got inside the car I started driving away. From the rear view mirror I could see the fire intensifying. Khanyisa was going to be broken but at least he had insurance.

I drove further away. Almost an hour later I stopped outside Kimberly's place. I handed her the bag with the cash in it and let her go without saying anything. During the drive I had told her everything I needed to tell her and I was assured that she was going to keep quiet and leave peacefully. Before I could drive off I checked the notifications in my phone because it had been ringing non-stop for minutes. I had missed calls from both Khanyisa and Naledi, text messages too. I guessed they'd heard about the coffee shop. I dialled Khanyisa's number first.

"Dante where the hell are you?" he said right after picking up, his voice breaking. He had been crying, I could tell from the sound of his voice on the other end of the line.

"What's wrong Khanyisa?"

"The coffee shop, it's, it's ---" he couldn't finish and for a while I could hear him crying then finally he continued, "Please Dante just, just get here, please."

"I'm on my way," I dropped the call, went to the back seat of the car and hurriedly changed into clean clothes. I wet a t-shirt and used it to wipe myself and although I didn't look perfect, I didn't look like someone who had committed murder either. I put everything in a duffle bag, threw the bag inside the trunk where Sandile's corpse was and went back to the driver's seat, driving right after.

When I got there I parked a few feet away from the scene then I took out Sandile's phone. I had forgotten the most crucial element of my plan and I hoped it wouldn't mess things up. I scrolled through his chats until I found his and Naledi's then I began to type.

'Naledi I can't do this anymore, I can't keep lying to you because I know that if you ever found out you'd be hurt and I most certainly can't bring myself to tell you face to face. I can't do this anymore, I can't be with you because I'm in love with someone else. I'll come and take my clothes from your place when I get the time to, until then, I'm so sorry but goodbye.'

I hit send and got out of the car, throwing the phone down and crushing it under my feet before picking up it's remains and throwing them in the trunk of the car with what remained of its owner. After that, I made my way to the coffee shop.

There was a group of people everywhere and from the looks of it the fire had spread to other buildings as well so people had to evacuate. There was thick black smoke, policemen and fire fighters everywhere. As I got closer I could see the remaining flames that they were still trying to put out. The sounds of the sirens and people trying to talk over them were deafening. I wished I could be anywhere but here but I didn't have a choice.

Khanyisa hugged me as soon as he turned and saw me. It took me by surprise and I didn't know what to do, especially when his embrace tightened and he began to cry. I hugged him back, unsure how else to react. It took a while before he pulled back and stared into my eyes. He looked torn apart.

"What happened?" I asked, as sympathetic as I could get. Judging from the looks of it, there was nothing left of the coffee shop. It was gone, totally gone.

"Somebody did this Dante," Khanyisa spoke through tears, "Somebody did this," again he tightly hugged me, his head falling on my chest. I felt bad, I felt horrible but then again it had all been for a good cause. He pulled back and stared in my eyes again. Taking my hand in his, he lifted it up and used it to wipe away his tears, not breaking eye contact. It was all weird but I let it happen because he was clearly distraught.

I was about to say something when he spoke, "Dante there's something I need to tell you, I know this isn't the right time but ---"

"What?" I urged him to carry on when he continued to keep quiet. His face leaned into my hand as he continued to tightly hold it there.

"I, Dante I ---"

"Dante," Naledi's voice cut him off and he suddenly dropped my hand and stepped away from me.

"Naledi," I was happy to see her. She ran into my arms and I hugged her tight. Like Khanyisa, she too began to cry.

"I thought something bad had happened to you. You weren't picking up your phone and, and ---," she stopped and her hand caressed my face, "I'm so glad you're okay."

"Are you? Are you okay?" I asked, remembering the text I had sent using Sandile's phone. I expected her to be messed up, after all like she'd said, she loved him.

"Yeah I am," she responded and then looking down at her feet, "Well Sandile and I broke up, more like he broke up with me but it's fine. I was more worried about you."

"I'm okay Naledi," I looked over at Khanyisa, "I believe Khanyisa needs the both of us more than I need you right now."

She nodded her head and we both went to Khanyisa and embraced him in a hug before pulling back and looking at what remained of the coffee shop.

"I guess this is the end of it," Naledi said after a while.

"No Naledi," I said in response, "This is the beginning, a fresh start for all of us."

Both their hands grabbed mine at the same time. I smiled inwardly. After today, I was going to have Naledi all to myself.