𝟎𝟏.

The sound of the dark brown ball striking against the backboard of the basketball rim reverberated through the streets of Detroit, as intoning bees roomed around in the sky

The sun was a celebration of yellow, freedom, and brightness, and the trees reflected their best verdant hues to meet the occasion.

All you could smell was the smoke that emanated from people grilling in the neighborhood, which was rich, languid, and sweet like barbecue.

"Yeah! Fuck is you talm' 'bout nigga!" A pudgy man whose name was Terry yelled in his friend, Trevon, face after successfully ducking over his 5'11 frame.

As beads of sweat accumulated on both their faces.

It was currently 80 degrees outside in Detroit, and Trevon and a couple of his guys were over at Terry's house; playing basketball in the street.

It was a favorite summer activity for the group of men.

"Yo' big fat ass. Stomach all in my face and shit" Trevon said calmly after chuckling, grabbing the bottom of his shirt and lifting it to wipe his forehead.

Due to him sweating bullets, the white tee he was wearing stuck to him like glue, making it look like he had been splashed with water. His buff arms were on display, and he wore a random pair of shorts with a real gold watch on his left wrist.

"Oh, now I'm fat 'cause yo' ass suck?"

Trevon paused in the middle of the street before raising his eyebrows and looking at Terry as if he was crazy. "You been fat before the game, and most definitely will still be after the game"

"You green as fuck" Terry shook his, and the two guys who were sitting on the sidewalk busted out laughing, Trevon joining them as well.

"Y'all better leave my man alone" Terry's wife came out the small two-bedroom house with a tub of water bottles in her hands.

Her eight-month pregnant belly was fully noticeable in the plain bodysuit too.

"What my lady said" Terry hurried over to the woman and gave her assistance, not wanting her to put too much pressure on herself. "Why you out here? You know it's not safe. You not even supposed to be walking"

Trevon nodded in agreement and made his way over to the woman before taking a knee and carefully placing his hands on her round belly.

The man was aware that his friend was talking about the neighborhood they lived in, which was Belmont. Part of the area has been dubbed 'The Red Zone' - gang turf for the Seven Mile Bloods, who, according to authorities, terrorize residents with shootings, murders, and drug dealing.