Chapter 33: Unraveling Shadows

Bronya: Once inside the virtual space, the Bronya will try to gain admin access as quickly as possible

Einstein nodded in agreement.

Einstein: That is the best course of action

Akiri: Alright... Then let's get to work

After finishing her preparations, Einstein then hands Akiri a proper VR headset that is used to enter the virtual space, while Bronya insists that she uses her Homu VR headset.

The two of them each sat on a chair and placed on their headgear as Einstein promptly worked on the computer some more and started a countdown.

Einstein: Initiating dive... 3... 2... 1...

Everything went black for them as soon as Einstein finished her countdown. They felt as if their soul was pulled out of their body before being put back in again.

When Bronya opens her eyes again, she sees that she is now no longer on the bridge of the Hyperion, but in a different place.

She seems to be standing on a platform, suspended in mid-air in the middle of a vast empty space.

Bronya: Neural link established

Bronya utters as she looks around only to get confused when she realizes that Akiri is missing

Bronya: Strange. Did subject Akiri not make the dive successfully or was he transported somewhere else?

???: This is not a place for a child

She was startled by a deep, somewhat distorted male voice speaking out from behind and she turned to see that it was the Gray Serpent.

Gray Serpent: Do not interfere, Bronya Zaychik

Bronya: You know the Bronya's full name?

Gray Serpent: The moment you connected yourself to this network, I have already entered your mind

Bronya seemed doubtful of what he said.

Gray Serpent: I see that you don't believe my claim. Then allow me to prove it...

The world around her started to glitch and flicker like a broken computer screen until it then shifted into something else entirely.

Simultaneously, Akiri's body materialized in the middle of a grassy plains. Standing under the clear blue sky, the boy felt a breeze tousle his hair as he looked around the area.

Akiri: This is the Hyperion's virtual space? Kinda underwhelming if you ask me...

He mutters as he then notices that Bronya is nowhere to be seen.

Akiri: Bronya? Bronya, where are you?

???: You won't find her here

Akiri turns around and is shocked when he sees the Gray Serpent standing not too far away from him, holding an umbrella above his head.

Akiri: Where's Bronya? What did you do to her?

Gray Serpent: I gave her something to be occupied with. Now, we can talk without getting interrupted

Akiri: Talk, huh? What do you want from me?

Gray Serpent: Your memories. You have memories buried away deep inside you

Akiri: Memories? What are you talking about?

Gray Serpent: Exactly what I said. Surely you have seen fragments of it. Perhaps in your dreams, or senses of deja vu. Visions that felt abnormally vivid. Those memories are what I want