Chapter 20: Reawakening

Back inside the gem storage room, Dr. Magi is still on the ground, lamenting his decisions while Akiri looks unsure of what to do.

Akiri: Dr. Magi, is there any way we can stop this?

Magi: It's too late. The gem is now infused with deadly levels of Honkai that will destroy your body if you touch it. The eruption will happen at any moment now... You two get as far away from her as you can. We're too late to save anyone

Kiana: No! I refuse to run!

The girl shouted, and the man lifts his head up to look at her.

Kiana: I'm a Valkyrie! And Akiri is a Knight! It's our duty to protect you and the people of this city! Right, Akiri?

The boy smiled and he nodded.

Akiri: Right. There must be something we can do

Kiana: Don't worry, I got my own plan! It might not work, but I'm going to give it a shot!

Magi: You have a plan?

Akiri: What is it?

Kiana: It's called "ignore everything you just said and grab the gem!"

She shouts as she then ran towards the gem and reaches her hand out to it.

Akiri: Wait, Kiana!

He was too late to do anything as the silver-haired girl grabs the gem with her bare hand and pulled it away.

Kiana: I... I've got the gem...

She said in between her breaths as she tightly clutches the glowing gem in her hands.

Magi: Foolish girl! What are you doing?!

Akiri: Kiana...

Kiana: I took the gem from the container... That should stop the eruption, right?

Magi: No, you can't stop it from absorbing ambient Honkai just by covering it with your hands!

Akiri: Kiana, throw that thing away, right now!

Kiana: No! I won't give up! I can feel that it's working!

The gem started to glow brighter as she pulls her hands close to her chest.

Kiana: It hurts...! But I'm not letting go!