Chapter 31: The Void's Trail

Akiri found himself in the midst of the ruins of the Hyperion, crashed to the surface of the earth.

Charred and twisted metal remnants jutted out from the earth like grotesque sculptures, debris scattered in a chaotic pattern. The crash site itself was a nightmarish inferno, with fire raging uncontrollably in every direction, casting a hellish glow across the scene.

The boy carefully walked across the ruins of the vessel as thick, acrid smoke billowed into the night sky, obscuring the stars and painting the sky with a shade of crimson, casting an eerie glow over the scene.

As he trudged through, he then came to a stop, his heart felt like it plummeted into his stomach. There, lying motionless in the rubble, was the lifeless body of Himeko Murata, her body impaled by a single Subspace Lance.

Her eyes, devoid of life, stared vacantly at the ashen sky, her battlesuit torn and stained, her skin lost its color. Akiri's breath caught in his throat, and a surge of nausea churned in his gut.

Feeling all his strength leaving his legs, he knelt beside her, his trembling hands reaching out to touch the cold, lifeless form. A wave of sorrow and helplessness washed over him.

Suddenly, the eerie silence shattered as with a jolt, Himeko's pale, lifeless hand shot out, her fingers closing like a vice around Akiri's arm, causing him to flinch in terror and a small yelp escape his lips.

Himeko: You could've saved us...

The body spoke with a slight raspy voice.

His eyes widened as he looked to see more lifeless bodies scattered around, most of them were familiar faces, Mei, Bronya, Theresa... His breath started coming in ragged gasps, his heartbeat racing.

Himeko: Why didn't you do more...?

Those words of her echo, repeating in his mind.

.

.

.

With his heart pounding and his mind engulfed in turmoil, Akiri suddenly jolted awake from the haunting nightmare.

Cold sweat clung to his trembling body as he gasped for breath, struggling to differentiate the remnants of the dream from reality. As he slowly starts to calm down, he looks at his surroundings to remind himself where he is.

The boy is sitting on a moving subway train. The subway car was empty, save for him, it moved with an eerie silence through the underground tunnel. The only sounds were the rhythmic clanking of wheels against the tracks and the soft hum coming from the fluorescent lights overhead.

The windows on either side of the car framed a view of the subway tunnel. Cold, damp walls of concrete rushed past, occasionally illuminated by the fleeting presence of flickering tunnel lights.

As his senses slowly returned, he then felt a pain in his abdomen. He looked down and lifted his shirt up and saw that his stomach was wrapped with bandages, with his blood slightly soaking it.

It is then he finally remembers what he was doing before.

(A day ago...)

Akiri: This is the place...

Akiri muttered to no one but himself as he stood in front of what looked like a regular bar.

The boy is outfitted in a long, dark coat with a hood which covers his whole body, having thrown away his Schicksal Battlesuit to avoid standing out and also from being tracked.

He sees a sign hanging on the door which indicates that the establishment is closed, but he goes and opens the door anyway and enters the building.

The inside of the bar was small, yet cozy, with warm lighting and smooth jazz playing softly in the background. A single bar area is seen with a lone middle-aged man behind the bar, neatly dressed while wiping a wine glass with a towel.