Part 34: Warnings

Living in the Red Keep after all these years was extremely strange

Living in the Red Keep after all these years was extremely strange. Staying in room that used to belong to my parents, children constantly disappearing, and my marriage to Daemon sometimes felt like I was thrown into a dream. Of course, what woke me up from this dream was reality of the throne.

It was a week after wedding, and I was at my apartments with my uncle, Maester Vaegon. Treats and tea filled the table, but we were both in deep silence. When servants finally left us alone, my uncle:

"I see you're hiding the dagger I gave you."

"I need to keep it. I know it's the only thing that will truly protect me."

"I heard about your actions in the North. You've done an exceedingly good job as Regent."

"I was just trying to protect my son's rights."

"What about your own rights?"

"Be careful, uncle, your words may be perceived as betrayal."

"If what I have done for our House is considered treason, they're simply ungrateful."

"It's nice that you remain loyal to our House after all these years."

"I was under green cloak. It was only protecting me from marriage, my niece."

A deep silence filled the room. My Uncle Vaegon:

"Viserys isn't a good king. Maybe my brother Baelon would have been a better king than him, but Viserys? No, he's definitely a disappointment, and I don't think his brother Daemon would be any different."

"Viserys is a good King. He keeps the Realm at peace."

"And when he die? Do you think peace will continue? Let me tell you, Rhaenyra and Alicent will begin a passionate war. Otto has convinced himself that his own grandson must take his rightful place. Well, having witnessed firsthand male domination of lords of the Realm, you know better than I who they will support?"

"There are oaths sworn to the throne and the heir."

"This isn't the North, Visenya. You must remember that as soon as possible."

"What will I do?"

"You have three options, niece. First, support Rhaenyra and join this merciless war. But do not forget that Aegon is also a Targaryen. Second, enter this war for Rhaenys. We both know that your sister deserves that throne."

"Third?"

"Go into battle on your own behalf. I'm sure you'll have a better chance than Rhaenyra and Aegon."

"But..."

"You're the heir's daughter too, Visenya. Not only Rhaenys, but you too are important. I know your loyalty to your sister. However, when you play game of thrones, you win or die. There is no middle ground."

After saying these words, my uncle left my apartment shortly. I was sure he would return to the Oldtown soon. This was the last time I met him, and probably the last time he gave me advice.

I don't know how long I sat alone. I was just convinced it was dinner time when Daemon walked in. Daemon:

"I was told you were here all day."

"Yes. I was lost in thought."

"Our uncle must have confused you."

"He seems certain that a war will begin soon."

"Our family will always come first, Visenya."

"I know that. But what if something happens to us? I can't afford to lose my children, Daemon."

"I'll protect them until my last breath, Visenya. And our family. Remember, we are Targaryens. Fire and blood."

"Fire and blood."

***