Part 9: The Heir

(Prince Baelon and his two sons, Prince Viserys and Daemon)

Rhaneys was sitting on the chaise longue with her nine-month-old bloated belly. Even though the mourning period is over, we didn't remove black color. As much as I hated that color, it was my way of showing my grief.

We were in the garden as it was a warm autumn day. Rhaenys:

"What gender do you think it is?"

"I call him a handsome boy."

"Don't. You too?"

"Who else says boy?"

"My mom."

We both chuckled after looking at each other. Between our laughter:

"Don't worry about what my mom said. She was sure we were both boys at time."

"I think... she knew deep down that we were girls. You know she has to give heirs."

"Women can inherit, Rhaenys. You were my father's heir."

"Sure. But I still haven't been announced."

"I'm sure they're just waiting for the boy."

"Why should they wait. If it's a girl, she'll be my heir."

Viserys entered the garden as Rhaenys fidgeted with impatience. After greeting us Rhaenys:

"Cousin, why don't you sit with us?"

"I'm going to dragonpit."

"Why? You don't have a dragon?"

Viserys, while Rhaenys elbowed me:

"My grandfather wanted me to have one as soon as possible. We're practicing with the caregivers."

"I hope you get one, cousin."

Viserys walked away after granting Rhaenys' wishes. Rhaenys:

"Fear not. He won't take Caraxes."

"He can't, anyway. Caraxes is a warlike, excited dragon. He can't get along with Viserys' peaceful air."

"Like that."

"But that's not what scares me, Rhaenys."

"So what?"

"All this time it didn't matter whether Viserys and Daemon would have dragons or not. Because they were only children of the second son. But look now. My grandfather... he wants to get us out of the line of succession."

"This won't happen, Visenya."

"Prepare yourself for this, Rhaenys. I may be small, but I'm not stupid."

"Don't bring it up, Visenya. You know it could be considered treason."

We interrupted this conversation. Rhaenys then went up to her room. I also went to the library. I now knew the stories of my ancient ancestors by heart. That's why I was intrigued by the stories of the first humans. I tried to forget future fights as I buried myself in the book I had just found on the shelves.