Part 20: Six Years Later

(Daenerys Stark, daughter of Visenya Targaryen)

AC105

"Daenerys, why do you think our fathers don't want us to join hunt?"

"My dad says forest is dangerous, Catelyn. But one day I'll hunt like him."

Daenerys Stark got up from the Weirwood where they were sitting. Catelyn Dustin was her best friend and daughter of her mother's lady-in-waiting. The two six-year-old girls spent most of their time together. One of those times was skipping classes.

Catelyn:

"Your mother is one of the best swordsmen in this realm. My mother won't let me touch anything sharp."

"I'll convince her, Catelyn. We'll train together. Let's get up..."

"Daenerys..."

Daenerys took her best friend's hand and dragged her through Winterfell. People who saw them were getting out of their way and smiling. Everyone has always admired daughter of the lord of Winterfell. The fact that she had a true Valyrian appearance added to this admiration.

Daenerys was born eight months after her parents were married. Everyone said she was a true Targaryen, with white silver hair and light purple eyes. But young parents were overjoyed with their daughter. She was called the Light of Winterfell.

Three years later, Cregan joined the family. Daenerys was somewhat the opposite of her brother. He had brown hair and gray eyes, and the only thing they had in common was that their skin color was white. But two siblings had the same mischief.

Daenerys smiled as she entered her mother's room. Her mother was sitting on chaise longue at edge of room, holding her bloated belly. Her golden hair was straight down to her waist. She was wearing a gray dress and a black cloak. Her mother always said it was cold in Winterfell. Even though Southern life was behind her, she still wasn't quite used to the cold of the North.

Catelyn bobbed a curtsy to her lady and went over to her mother. Visenya:

"Daenerys, I wasn't expecting you so soon."

"We came to ask you something, mother."

"I'm listening, my light."

"Will you let us learn swords with Catelyn?"

As Visenya smiles, Catelyn's mother Minisa:

"Princess, that's definitely not going to happen. I apologize on behalf of my daughter."

"There's nothing to apologize for, Minisa. Daenerys, you're still young and one day you'll learn."

"But mom..."

"I was eight years old when I took my first sword lesson. Now in the nursery with Catelyn."

Daenerys left the room with her best friend, pouting. Minisa: