Chapter 14

As soon as Valentino reached home, he entered in his office and slammed the door shut. He loosened his tie and took a deep breath trying to calm himself. Why the hell was he even mad? Whatever she said was true. It was a slap to his face. One he needed to wake up and realise that she would never accept him or see him any other way than the brother of her enemy.

Of course she had all the right to be mad. He was at fault. He knew he should let her go and give her back the evidence but he knew the moment he does that. His brother would go to jail and remain there for a long time. But then again was it the only reason why he was not letting her go? He could definitely keep the evidence and let her go back to her home if he wanted since the contract clearly prevented her from harming him and his brother. But he could not.

Fuck he could not. No matter how much that lawyer infuriated him. He liked her presence. He liked her sassy attitude... Her pride and the way she walked with power and confidence. He liked it far too much and he was being selfish keeping her here just because he enjoyed her presence... And it also made him feel less lonely.. He even slept well now that they shared one bed. He had never slept this much peacefully.

Now that he got a glimpse of what heaven felt like. He was not ready to let go and this was dangerous. He was slowly getting addicted to her presence, to her voice, to her smart comebacks, to her anger, to her scent. That lawyer was slowly taking away the control he had over his heart, mind and soul. She was slowly taking it away and making herself at home inside the depths of his soul.

Was he ready to allow such a vulnerability in him? To feel emotions? He was a mafia boss. Love was out of his dictionary. He had to get her out of his system before he fell for her. Sighing heavily, he went towards his table and opened a bottle of whiskey gulping down from the bottle itself.

Once he emptied the bottle, he opened another bottle and chug down the alcohol. Again and again, he emptied bottles upon bottles of whiskey wanting her out of his mind. Wanting her eyes, her smile, her laughter, wanting every fucking essence of her out of his system. He could not love her. He could not like the presence of the woman who wanted to send his brother to jail.

No matter what happened between Lucasia and his brother. He will not let go of his little brother. He vowed to protect him after their parents death... He knew why Jonathan turned horrible. Losing their parents... Took a toll on him. Their parents were murdered brutally in an event. One Valentino did not attend... An event where Jonathan witnessed his parents die... Brutally murdered by a rival. That trauma had changed his little brother. He was never the same after that.

It pained Valentino till this day for not being there for Jonathan. For not being able to protect him from that scene. He was perhaps blindly overprotective and loving towards a brother that was no more the boy he once knew but Jonathan was still his brother. Family was family. He could not let go of the last thread... Of the last family tie he had left.

Yet his heart ached for the warmth he found with Lucasia. He was stuck between protecting his brother and keeping a woman who perhaps hated him close to himself for the rest of his life. He slammed the fifth bottle of whiskey on the table and opened another drinking till he felt numb. Till hours went by and he fell on the couch, his head pounding while bottles upon bottles of whiskey laid by his feet.

He was drinking his pain and guilt hoping to drown all those feelings he felt inside but despite the alcohol. His mind never stopped tormenting him. Sighing heavily he closed his eyes and leaned against the couch just when the door opened and slammed shut. Yes.. That must be his wife. The only one who had a grudge against doors.

He opened his eyes and lifted his head up to look at Gattina who stared back at him with a frown wearing a simple nightwear made of silk that was far too short for his own good. His eyes looked her up and down before he chuckled bitterly. Even drunk, his fucked up heart still felt attracted to her. His cock still throbbed for her.

"What are you doing? Drinking won't solve your problems" Lucasia said inching closer to him.

"It doesn't but it helps" He replied looking up at her, his eyes hooded with exhaustion.

"It doesn't. Let's go to bed now. It's late" Lucasia said coming more close to him. She went to grab his arm but he grabbed her arm and pulled her down on him before she could react.

He then wrapped his arms around her waist and buried his face in the crook of her neck inhaling her soft and addictive scent. She smelled like hibiscus flower... It must be the soap and shampoo that she used that made her smell like that but god have mercy. He liked it.

"W-What are you doing? Let me go" Lucasia said trying to get out of his grip.

"I hate you" He replied tightening his hold on her. "I hate you so much for making me feel like this" He added feeling her suck in a breath either from his tight grip or words. He did not know. He was far too drunk to even understand clearly what he was doing.

"I hate you too... I hate you for making me care" Lucasia replied making his eyes widened slightly. He immediately looked up into her eyes. Her beautiful hypnotising hazel eyes that strangely reminded him of the sun. Bright, beautiful and warm yet if you stare at it for too long. It hurts your eyes. That's what she was to him.

"You care?" He asked with a soft voice, his arms still holding her tightly, scared that his drunken state was just playing tricks on him and she was not truly in his arms.

"I do yet I hate you" She replied looking down into his eyes with a soft gaze that made his heart throb.

"That makes two of us then" He replied before standing up with her in his arms making her shriek in surprise.

"What are you doing? Let me down" Lucasia said wrapping her arms around his neck, her legs around his waist to support herself, definitely scared to fall.

"You said let's go to bed. So let's go" He stated opening the door with one hand while still holding her to him with the other. He then walked out of the room and stumbled towards the stairs in his drunken state yet he never let go of her.

"Valentino. You are going to make both of us fall. Let me down" Lucasia said gripping his suit tightly.

"I will die before I ever let you fall Gattina" Valentino replied going up the stairs, his eyes barely open. His Gattina exhaled softly in reply and held onto him while he carried them to their room seemingly finding no words to say back.

Both of them cared for each other. It was clear... Their words did not match with what they felt deep down. They pretended not to care and love yet they both did. After all, hate is sometimes love... just from another angle. And... Would this love between them flourish or would it ruin their heart? Only time will tell.

Don't forget to vote. Thank you!