Chapter 13

Lucasia stared at the cases of domestic violence and sighed deeply. She had lots of work to do but thankfully Samuel resigned from work and she was finally at peace. She had a doubt though that Valentino must be behind it. Nonetheless she was more than happy of his absence. This guy irritated her more than people in general and that was something.

Exhaling softly, she examined all her cases one by one and contacted the concerned women. Many of her colleagues had asked her about her famous case on Jonathan that she was working on like crazy but she simply told them that she did not have enough evidence and gave up... They obviously did not believe her but went with it. Everyone had also noticed she got married judging by her big diamond ring yet she dismissed all questions regarding her personal life.

Truth be told... She was having a conflict inside her. On one side, there was her need to bring Jonathan to justice then on the other there was her heart that was slowly becoming softer with Valentino. She did not want it. She could not like Valentino. He had put a bomb in her brother's neck for fuck sake... How could she like him?  This needed to stop.

Shaking those thoughts away, she got back to work and finally after five hours of tedious work. Everything was completed and well prepared. Exhaling softly, feeling her back sore from sitting and working for so long. She stood up, grabbed her things and left her office. She then reluctantly called Valentino since he didn't let her go to work and return alone anymore. She could protect herself but of course Valentino was too paranoid to let her alone not after what happened. She sighed softly and placed the phone against her ear and waited.

"Hi Gattina, miss me already? " Valentino asked teasingly as soon as he picked up, making her roll her eyes even if he couldn't see her.

"I am done with work. Come pick me " She replied sternly. She needed to stop being gentle with him. She could not grow soft.

" I see. Okay I will come get you. Wait for me in the parking lot but don't cut the call" Valentino said making her scowl.

"Valentino. I'm fine nothing will happen to me," Lucasia said pointedly.

"Just don't cut it," Valentino said sternly.

Lucasia sighed knowing that Valentino was too stubborn.. "Fine I won't cut it," she simply said before walking out of the building, the phone in her hand.

She soon reached the parking lot and waited patiently for him. She then placed the phone back on her ear and heard the sound of honking cars and knew her husband was close by. Indeed a few minutes later, a black SUV entered the parking area and stopped right in front of her. She immediately opened the passenger door and got in the car sighing tiredly.

"You overworked yourself right?" Valentino asked, keeping his eyes on the road. She hummed in reply and heard her husband sigh.

"Don't worry I'm fine" She replied staring at the road ahead wanting nothing more but to sleep.

"Gattina?" Valentino called out after a few seconds.

"Yes? " She replied questioningly, turning to glance at Valentino who looked deep in thoughts.

"Why do you hate my brother so much?" Valentino asked making her clench her jaw.

"Your brother is a horrible guy Valentino and you are covering up for his mistakes instead of punishing him righteously" She simply replied, her face stoic and her voice cold. It was the truth. No matter how much he loved his brother. Covering up for his mistakes was wrong. A huge mistake that would cost him a lot one day.

"I... I know he's bad but this is not the answer to my question" Valentino said pointedly. "I feel like you have a personal grudge against him. What happened between you too? Why hate him this much?" He added making her tense up.

No one really knew about what Jonathan nearly did. Even Evan did not know. He surely had a doubt about what happened after seeing how she hated Jonathan and was adamant to put him behind bars but since she never opened up about it... He simply gave her his unconditional support without asking for details. She was the only one who knew what happened. Did she want to tell someone now? That also to the brother of the one who nearly... Lord she could not bring herself to even say it. She wanted to punish Jonathan badly and now it was impossible because of Valentino.

She felt her anger rising and clenched her jaw before replying "You don't need to know if something happened or not. You forced me into this marriage for your brother's safety. Why do you care now?"

Valentino immediately pulled the car to a screeching stop making her body slam forward. "The fuck are you doing?!" She spat staring at Valentino who stared back at her with anger.

"What did he do to you? I have all the rights to know. You are my wife!" Valentino replied, his grey eyes darkening with anger and dominance.

"Your wife?! You mean the one that you forcefully married! You literally put me in a position where I had to let go of the case for my little brother's safety and now you want the reason!" She said, her eyes filled with fury. Valentino looked taken aback by her words yet he remained silent. Of course. What could he say to her to justify his actions? Nothing...

"You are unbelievable" She added just when Valentino looked down, guilt spreading through him. She felt her heart ache slightly but Valentino had married her forcefully. She had to leave her house. Her freedom. For who? For a mafia boss who was protecting a sinner.

"Very well " Valentino said after a few seconds, his hand gripping the steering wheel with a death grip.

When she looked outside the window, he started the car again and drove off. The atmosphere between them tense... Unspoken words, hidden secrets and unanswered questions lingered in the air yet none of them spoke. One hurt by the words of the woman he started to care for... The other one mad because of the injustice done to her by a man she was starting to like.

Don't forget to vote, Thank you!!