Chapter Twenty

They struck fast. Shoving and weaseling their way into the long line until they nestled behind her. High on the euphoria of the social gathering, Caleesi flinched at the pinprick in the middle of her back. Instinctively she threw a quick elbow into the gut of her assailant.

"Relax sis! It's just me!"

The groaning man protest, doubling over and cradling his gut. His words made her head cock to the side, a frown etched on her face.

"Caleesi! Be respectful to your brother! It's time to go!"

A firm hand dug into her forearm, wrenching her out the line. Caleesi tried gripping the hand, but another's clasped her other arm. Firmly securing her in between two men. Strangers cast them wary gazes and merely continued with their activities.

"We're fucked, you let your guard down."

A growl rang out, counteracting the dizziness she felt. Unfortunately, her counterpart was correct. The strong presence of wolfsbane dried out her mouth. Blinking became a chore and she stumbled slightly, trying to catch herself by gripping those closest.

Reaching their destination, Tomas hopped out the driver side of the black Suburban. When Caleesi's gaze met his, she huffed loudly before pressing her lips together and spitting in his face.

"Beta Tomas, you ridiculous rat! What the fu-"

"Behave yourself omega!"

Grimacing he wiped his face, motioning at the two men before hopping back in the SUV. Unceremoniously they tossed her in the backseat, ignoring her cry out as she hit the center console. Wincing she pulled herself up with the little strength she had, flopping onto the seat.

The car jerked and her stomach churned. Raising her hand she fondled the door, searching for the handle. In her pursuit she hit the window button. The cool air elicited a groan from her parched lips.

Suddenly a piercing ache exploded in her right side. Looking down her eyes widened as they slowly processed the blade-like claws buried in her skin. Blood began pooling out gradually, sliding down onto her grey leggings.

"Ah ah ah, your highly needed. Caleesi, is it?"

A voice, smooth as satin, whispered deadly close to her ear.

"Caleesi!"

Looking back out the tinted window, she saw a blurred figure running frantically into stores and into the street. As if they were dancing to an upbeat tune.

"Khali-argh!"

White spots formed in her vison, as his hand left her side. In that instance, weightlessness overcame her. Leaning back, she hit the headrest. Lolling to the side she tried to make out the figure seated next to her. Even with the distortion, the smile on his face was arrogant. Opening her mouth her tongue held still, and soon she went limp, sliding into the darkness.

*~*~*~*~*~*

"Caleesi!"

Khalia's voice croaked. It was black outside when the town shuddered their stores and packed up their booths. She had stayed longer, hoping, waiting, that what transpired was a fluke. Maybe she'll pop out from a store, the bar...anything.

"She's not here and you're causing a scene. He took her. We must act, now!"

Parasita's voice rose firm. Khalia's torn and bloody shirt caused whispered and stares. A few officers attempted to stop her, the ones that did she concocted a tale of social media and going viral. They glared at her, issuing warnings before descending upon the streets. Mavi and her coven, she found out, left as well, not privy on getting involved in werewolf politics. Mavi did share a bit of advice before strutting off.