48. Awakening

Erebus was somewhat coherent as he slumped against Leo. He knew the moment Halcyon had approached them.

"General. His poison." Leo's words were laced with concern and fear.

"I know where to take him," Halcyon said. "Let me have him."

Leo was reluctant to let him go. "Can't I stay with him?"

"Not this time, Prince."

Knowing he couldn't delay more, Leo let Halcyon take Erebus from his arms. Halcyon quickly moved through the shadows.

He let the Phonoi Heart loose today around the Themises, and instead of meditating, he showed Astra a cultivation technique. He had depleted his mana and, thus, his control. The Phonoi Heart was more potent than usual, and madness crept in. However, Fenrir wasn't near him, and he didn't have the energy to call for him.

Fenrir was his failsafe... his executioner. He couldn't afford to let the Phonoi Heart win and knew he was struggling.

He held on tightly to Halcyon's sleeves, knowing he would have to rely on him. He was grateful Leo wouldn't hear his plea. "If I lose control... kill me."

Halcyon felt a deep ache seeing Erebus in this state. Words were caught in his throat as he stared at Erebus with wide eyes.

"General, I beg you... don't let me become a monster..."

Halcyon let out a shaky breath and nodded sadly. Erebus relaxed and fell unconscious, entering the Phonoi Heart world, where he would start his battle with the manifestation.

Halcyon rushed him through the shadows until they reached the Shadowbane headquarters. Halcyon did not stop in his office but moved into the depths of the headquarters.

A garden was hidden on the lowest floors of Shadowbane that grew Nightshade, Nox Grass, and other rare plants that thrived in darkness. In the center was a small pond filled with Yin water with a pavilion overlooking it. Only small crystal lights illuminated the area, casting a beautiful dark blue shade throughout the space.

Erebus sat in the middle of the pavilion with a painful look on his face. Blood continued to drip from his mouth, and his body also suddenly had deep gashes appear and then heal within in moments.

Halcyon watched over him in the distance but was clenching his hands with anxiety. He didn't even stir when Leonis appeared next to him.

"I felt a baleful aura pass quickly and followed... did it really come from him?" Leonis asked with a concerned look on his face.

Halcyon let out a shaky breath. "This... is the truth of the Phonoi Heart poison. He was suppressing this all night."

Leonis shook. "But... he told us..."

"He downplayed it. And still... I believe that we can only see a small fraction of his suffering." Halcyon said quietly. "He begged me to kill him if he loses control."

He hated seeing such a strong man like Erebus begging to die. There was a strange fear and reluctance in his eyes. He didn't fear the pain or the torment but the possibility of becoming a monster.

Leonis felt a little weak and sat on a rock in a defeated manner. "My Pulsar family has cursed him. While saving my son, he was poisoned. While protecting my honor, he harmed himself by agitating it."

Halcyon patted his shoulder. "That crazy bastard probably would make the same choice repeatedly without ever looking backward to regret it."

They both watched over him in tense silence, wincing with each groan escaping from Erebus' lips and aching with each wound that appeared.