34. Phonoi Heart Poison

Erebus felt that the approaching needle was ominous. It reeked with a sinister aura that would quickly take the lives of the weakened people behind him.

Erebus moved to block it with his daggers but felt a thin wire wrapped around his wrists, pulling his blades away. He hissed as the needle pierced into his chest but stilled when he felt the malice and bloodlust that emanated from the new wound.

He heard a laugh from a hidden corner.  "Extraordinary.  I never expected someone to sense my needle technique."  The voice was raspy, alerting Erebus that the voice belonged to a Devil.

The Devil laughed again in the darkness.  "Too bad... you should have dodged it."

Erebus looked down at the needle with trepidation. It had darkened to a deep black and melted into his skin. Erebus felt a darkness try to seep into his consciousness.  A violent bloodlust eclipsed his mind, trying to overwhelm him. A cold jolt traveled up his spine. He knew this malevolence.

He coughed up blood and laughed, knowing exactly who the Devil was.  "How in the hells did you find Phonoi Heart Poison, Acrid Doctor?"

"Oho!  You know your poison and my name!"

Erebus trembled a little, trying to control the mana inside of him and fight the darkness.  He had tamed this poison before, so he knew its characteristics.  However, this one seemed much more potent. Erebus ripped his shirt and looked down at his chest.  A black five-petal flower appeared on his chest.  It was a familiar mark that lived with him all his life in the Warring Era as the Demon Sovereign.

But he now watched as the petals turned and twisted.  They split and suddenly became a ten-petal flower.  He staggered and fell to a knee.  When the petals solidified, he felt a pulse inside of his body.  The madness was tearing at his mind.  He was going to lose control like he did before.  He could not bear to plunge his hand into the chest of the three near him.

"Go!"  He called out to the other three.

"Erebus!"  Leo tried to rush to him, but Erebus held out a hand.

"I can restrain this poison, but you need to go," he said between clenched teeth.

Leo wanted to refuse him and help, but a black aura started to escape from Erebus' body, looking like smoke was rising from his body.  It held such a deep killing intent that it was visible to the naked eye.

Leo didn't know about the Phonoi Heart and how it could affect someone's mental state, but he knew auras. The danger amplified for all of them if they lingered, especially for Erebus.  He spat out a curse and pushed the other two up the stairs.

"Come back alive!"  Leo yelled out behind him.

Erebus waited until they were gone and let out a roar, shaking the walls.  The bloodlust this time was brutal and continued to rip through his mind.  His eyes darkened from silver to pitch black.  Tears of blood poured from his eyes, and he felt his teeth elongate to sharp fangs.  His aura fluctuated and pushed out a powerful gust of wind.  The shelves in the room fell over, spilling its contents to the ground.

His mind was in turmoil.  He had never felt this transition before and cursed because now he knew he underestimated the Phonoi Heart Poison.  He glared toward the Devil and poured his shadow mana into a domain, swallowing the floor in darkness.

He felt the Acrid Doctor's steps coming near him.  He wanted to move, but his mind would waver even if he took one step.  One second of carelessness would send him over the edge.  He clenched his jaw as the Devil's blade flashed in front of him.  He instinctively moved back but was too slow—the tip of the knife sliced across his chest, upwards towards his neck.