43. Returning Home

In the shadows, Fenrir watched as Erebus and Leo spoke at the campfire. He had feared Erebus returning to Shadowbane but couldn't deny that Leo was genuine. Halcyon approached the giant wolf and followed his gaze toward Erebus and Leo.

"Erebus is a good man. We are unbelievably lucky to have him," Halcyon said.

Fenrir snorted with disdain. "Be sure never to forget that. To protect him from the fickleness of humans, I tried to have him join the Spirit Realm. For some reason, he declined because he wanted to be a part of Shadowbane." He glowered at Halcyon. "Break his trust, and you will face the wrath of the Spirit Realm."

Halcyon looked surprised by the threat, but that soon faded to a calm smile. "It's good that he has a brother like you."

He ran his hand over the rough stubble on his chin as he watched Erebus. "It's strange. I have spoken to Erebus several times, but I feel I have known him for much longer... I am greedy and want to do everything possible to ensure he remains with Shadowbane. For the first time in a long time, I have found someone who could stand over the other generals and lead the Shadowbane army. A worthy successor."

"Successor? Hells, he can lead all of Shadowbane if he had the ambition." Fenrir said with a chuckle.

"For some reason, I do not doubt it. But he does not have the ambition to?"

Halcyon did not feel threatened or concerned about Fenrir's statement. It was more of a question to sate his curiosity. He could see the potential leadership in Erebus, especially when he heard how he directed the entire battle. On top of this, he had created an alliance with the Spirit Realm and was able to bring them along to fight.

Fenrir chuckled. "I asked him before, and he looked horrified at the thought. That brat is too aware of his nature. He told me that a sect leader's role is to help preserve life. However, he only knows how to take life. Additionally, he has high expectations of your king and prince. This is high praise from someone like Erebus."

Halcyon laughed. "What an extraordinary man."

"Erebus is a man who overcomes. Treat him well, and he will return your benevolence. Treat him poorly, and he will gift you malice." Fenrir sighed. "Take care of my friend, General."

With a light huff, he walked away and merged into the shadows.

Halcyon watched him disappear and meditated on his words. The same question he thought when he first met Erebus floated in his mind. What would drive a man like Erebus to jump from a cliff?

Fenrir said goodbye to Erebus the next day and took the Spirit Realm creatures home. Erebus asked Skadi if she wanted to join them, but the offer offended her. She stayed behind to stay with Erebus.

After they parted, Shadowbane turned south to head back to Swiftmore. The march took over a week but was filled with light steps and laughter. The army would stop every night and share drinks around the fires. During the day, they would cut down any Devils they encountered. The soldiers took this opportunity to learn more about their new Lieutenant General. They found him undeniably intimidating but reliable. Soon, they would ask him to help them train and hone their skills.

When Erebus was tired, he would escape to Halcyon and share a drink with him or play a game of chess. The night before they reached Swiftmoore, Erebus was sitting in front of Halcyon, examining his chess pieces with a cup in one hand.

Halcyon tilted his head. "Have you considered my offer?"

"Offer?" Erebus asked, not looking up from the chessboard.

"Lieutenant General." Halcyon smiled. "It won't be a disservice to you. The Demon Unit is the most elite attack squad within Shadowbane. Additionally, you will only report to the royal family and me. No one else stands above you. And one day, you will take over my position."