Chapter 31: Dark

Darkness. Darkness everywhere.

That was the first thing she noticed about the room she was in. Then, she noticed her clothes, they were all bloodied and ripped. Her hands were restrained above her with some magical cuffs since she seemed unable to utter a spell.

She looked around, but there was only darkness.

She couldn't hear the friendly shadows that would whisper to her while in the dark, or whenever she was scared.

And right now, she needed them more than anything.

She tried to move but her muscles cried in pain, she tried to speak but her voice came out hoarse, like a dagger at her throat.

She couldn't do anything. And worse, she couldn't remember anything.

Where was she? How did she end up here? What happened?

Suddenly, it all came flooding back.

Draco. Her father.

He had found them, he knew about it. He had tortured her in front of Draco who was crying and screaming for them to stop. Trying to stop him, but was restrained by his father, who made him watch.

Tears pricked at her eyes. Draco. Where is he? Is he alive? Did they...

No, she refused to think of that alternative, her father wouldn't do it, he needed Draco, he needed him to get rid of Dumbledore, she knew her father's plans. And Draco was included in most of them. Unless he decided to change plans. But she wouldn't think about that. No, Draco was alive and she needed to find him, she had to.

But first, she needed to get out of here.

How? She thought she couldn't move after her father had gutted her, she couldn't speak after he made her scream, and she couldn't use spells because he restrained her magic.

Fear seeped into her. This was all too familiar, it was the same story repeating itself. Her story. Maybe it never ended, she thought. She was stuck in this loop forever, whenever she tried to overpower her father, he always showed that she was still a student.

And that no student overpowers a master.

He had shown her many times, and yet, she still wouldn't believe that he was more powerful, that she couldn't kill him. He always won.

She would never be enough, she would never have the life she wanted. If he decided to let her live, because that's what it is now, isn't it? He's the one deciding her fate. He could kill her, and lose a great deal of magic. Or, let her live and make her go insane in this cell forever. He controlled her now because truth be told, she never had control in her life.

She needed to change that.

She has to be the upper hand, to take control, to take what's hers.

Yet, she needed to be smart. She had to be because this was her last chance. The last time she will still have hope of fighting him. If she still had hope. But that's what she needed to do. Hold on to it. Hold to the little bits of hope even in a bad situation.

She had to. For Draco, for Snape, for everyone counting on her out there.

For herself

She had to get out of there.

But how?