Chapter 10: Tensions

Philades Continent, Southeast of Pandora Greater Magic Principality

The sound of percussion instruments resonated over the horizon, harmonizing with synchronized marching footsteps, followed by fifes. Together, they created music that instilled fear throughout the Philades Continent. The formidable sound greatly intimidated the soldiers awaiting the impending encounter. The Pandoran army, comprising 40 thousand men, including grunts, mages, and wyvern riders, faced this ominous threat. Sweat trickled down the general's face, his stern expression concealing the fear and anxiety within him. A falter on his part could result in his men losing morale, spelling doom for their nation.

As the Parpaldian soldiers emerged on the horizon, the Pandoran general pointed his sword towards the vast emptiness of space, took a deep breath, and bellowed, "Charge!" The soldiers surged forward, while mages stayed behind to secure a perimeter. Simultaneously, wyvern riders took to the sky, preparing for an aerial battle against the Parpaldian wyvern riders.

Before the Pandoran soldiers could close the distance, they faced the fiery breath of the land dragons owned by the Parpaldians. Some managed evasive maneuvers and shields provided by the mages, but their luck ran out when met with the barrels of the Parpaldians' guns. "Ready, present, fire," were the last words they heard before a barrage of lead pierced through their armor, claiming their lives. The Pandoran air force fared no better, as Parpaldian Wyvern Lord riders joined the fray, proving more agile and stronger than the common wyverns. The Pandoran Air Force faced decimation, and it seemed only a matter of time until the Parpaldians achieved air superiority.

The battle unfolded as a one-sided, bloody slaughter. The battlefield was strewn with the corpses of Pandoran soldiers, some reduced to ash by the fiery breath of the land dragons. Wyvern riders became unrecognizable after plummeting from the sky with their wyverns. As the battle concluded, the Pandoran Army suffered total annihilation, while the Parpaldian Army incurred minor losses.

Parpaldia Empire
Capital: Esthirant

Ambassador Peter walked in a professional manner with a stern look on his face, accompanied by a couple of other diplomats and guards. They moved briskly as they made their way through the town towards the Empire's First Foreign Affairs Department nearby. The townspeople stared at the uniquely dressed group, moving to the side to make way for the strange guests led by a couple of Parpaldian soldiers.

Remille leisurely took her time and enjoyed herself, adding cubes of sugar to her tea according to her taste. She mixed it with grace, lifting the teacup to savor the tea she had prepared herself. However, her tranquility was abruptly disturbed by an aide, causing some of the tea to spill.

"Greetings, Mistress Remille. We have visitors from the 'US' coming shortly for diplomatic talks with our Empire, as per the message sent by Vice Admiral Armos," the aide said, gracefully bowing.

Remille, displaying an aura of anger at the disturbance to her leisure time, replied, "Get the rest of the staff. Welcome the envoys of the US when they arrive."

Sweat trickled down the aide's face as he realized the anger displayed by Remille. He replied, "Yes, Mistress Remille."

Time: 1200 Ambassador Peter and his team enter the First Foreign Affairs Building.

The team was surprised by the sudden change in air temperature upon entering, causing a short lag in their march. "Surprised? This is the Empire's state-of-the-art magic technology at work," Remille smirked at the surprised group, contemplating how this much was more than enough to show the differences between their nations' capabilities.

"Yeah, I'm surprised you guys have air conditioning, considering I was informed your technological level was comparable to that of the Georgian Era," Ambassador Peter replied to Remille.

Remille clicked her tongue in disappointment, not getting the reaction she desired. "Hmph, this is powered by tears of the wind god and a magic crystal that produces ice. A rare crystal found only in select continents, including ours. The tears of the wind god circulate the cool temperature of the pure magical ice through vents, providing sufficient air conditioning in all rooms," she explained, expecting to impress the man but receiving another unexpected reply.

"I see, it runs through a simple process, pretty efficient for something so simple. However, I can suggest some ideas to improve its overall performance. For instance, consider enhancing the system with proper ventilation for better cooling," the man suggested casually, leaving Remille slightly intrigued by his nonchalant demeanor.

Having traversed the hallway, the team arrived at a spacious room designed specifically for diplomatic talks. As both delegations settled into their respective positions, a hush fell over the room. Ambassador Peter, acknowledging the gravity of the situation, initiated the dialogue by articulating his concerns about the wrongful abduction of Americans by Parpaldians.

"I seek to address a crucial matter concerning the Americans abducted in the Kingdom of Fenn. We insist on ensuring their safety and their prompt return to us. Additionally, we urge you to withdraw your forces from the Kingdom of Fenn and consider reparations for the damages inflicted upon their nation," Ambassador Peter declared, setting the tone for the diplomatic exchange.

Upon learning of the Americans' agenda, discernible displeasure registered on the faces of the Parpaldian diplomats. The proposed course of action, involving a withdrawal of forces and reparations, posed a significant challenge. Internally, Remille questioned the legitimacy of such demands, contemplating, 'Who the hell do they think they are?' This divergence in perspectives heightened tensions in the room as the stage was set for the formal commencement of negotiations and discussions.

================================
Author's note

New chapter, enjoy! More to come soon.