42

Raina lost track of time as she lay in the grass, gazing at the sky. The sun now hung directly overhead, casting a warm and peaceful glow upon her. Her mind felt clear and content in this serene moment.

Raina turned her head, her gaze shifting to her slumbering dragons nearby. She admired their majestic forms before closing her eyes, basking in the soothing sensation of the sun on her skin.

"Raina," a voice called out, abruptly pulling her from her tranquility. The whispers intruded upon her peace, shattering the calm she had found.

"No," Raina protested, shaking her head. "Go away." But the persistent voices paid no heed to her plea.

"We have given you enough time," they insisted. Raina couldn't help but feel a surge of frustration. How could they claim to understand her grief? Her brother had passed away, and there was no set timetable for healing. "Life must move on, Raina. Your responsibilities await. It is time for you to acquire a new dragon."

Raina sat up, her expression a mix of defiance and sadness.

"acquire one!? How do you expect me to do that!?" Raina hissed with anger. "I don't want another dragon! I want my dragon and I want my brother back!" Her voice trembled with grief and frustration.

"We cannot bring them back, Raina," they responded. Raina shook her head vehemently, tears welling up in her eyes.

"I'm done. I don't want to do this anymore," she declared, her voice filled with a mix of sorrow and determination. The whispers fell silent momentarily, as if contemplating her words.

"Raina?" A voice broke through, and Raina's eyes darted towards it. It was Luke's voice.

"Stop!" Raina exclaimed, standing up. "You're being cruel. Please, just stop!" Her gaze shifted around, searching for any sign of his presence.

"Listen to us, Raina," the whispers persisted. "You must claim another dragon. A dragon has three heads," they insisted.

"No!" Raina shouted, her anger growing. "I gave birth to three sons, each representing a head of the dragon! I have already fulfilled the prophecy! I have the three heads!" Her voice wavered with a mix of defiance and sorrow, as she desperately clung to the memories of her lost loved ones.

"You have given birth to three seeds, each representing a head, but the flame must possess its own three-headed dragon, one to embody each head from which the seeds were borne," they explained. Raina struggled to fully comprehend their words.

"What do you mean?" she inquired, seeking further clarification.

"Each dragon you have symbolizes one of the heads of the three-headed dragon. The seeds you bore were meant to bring forth the next flames, each corresponding to a specific dragon's head," they elaborated.

Realization slowly dawned upon Raina. "So, my sons represented the reinsoris that would bring forth the next flame. And my dragons embody the three heads: Aegon, the first head; Seasmoke, Daemon, the second head; Drakonis, Aemond, the third head," she summarized, her voice filled with a mix of understanding and sorrow.

"Not Pyronyx. He did not possess the necessary qualities to represent the third head," they interjected. Raina closed her eyes, absorbing this new information.

"Why do they need dragons to represent them?" Raina questioned, seeking more

"Aegon represents the head of stolen Desires, symbolizing loss and gain," they explained. "Both the dragon and the head were present when the boy stole your flower. The dragon was there when your father was taken, representing loss. And it was there when you lost your firstborn, signifying your grief, but also when you gained your second child," they continued. Raina sat there, deep in thought. Daemon, the protector who supported her, Drakonis, the dragon she rode, who cared for her. But Pyronyx, he was nothing like Aemond.