19

Raina stood confidently, a bow in hand, its string taut as she pulled it back. With unwavering focus, she aimed the arrow directly at the target before her.

Taking a moment to steady herself, she breathed in deeply, allowing her concentration to reach its peak. Then, with a graceful release, the arrow soared through the air, striking the target with unerring precision.

"Raina," her grandfather called out, concern etched in his voice. "You should be resting."

She glanced over at him, acknowledging his worry. Although she knew she should be resting, the pain she felt at this moment was bearable, and she chose to ignore it.

She approached her grandfather slowly, her steps deliberate and measured. He extended his arm, offering her support, and she gratefully accepted it.

"Are you in pain?" he inquired, his caring gaze fixed upon her. She nodded, admitting to the discomfort she felt, but it was nowhere near as intense as it had been earlier that morning.

"Not like earlier," she replied softly, as they ambled together through the halls.

"I was hoping you would join us for dinner," her grandfather kindly asked, his gaze fixed upon her. "Only if you feel up to it."

"Of course," Raina replied, exhaling with a sense of relief. Despite her weariness, she felt an overwhelming need to break free from the confines of her room.

With a warm smile, her grandfather led her to the dining hall, where her grandmother was already seated. Raina returned the smile and walked over to her, feeling a surge of happiness.

"I wasn't sure if you'd feel well enough to join us today, my dear," her grandmother said, enveloping her in a loving embrace. "Come, let's get you settled."

Raina didn't have much of an appetite. Her hunger seemed diminished, overshadowed by the intense and growing pain she was experiencing. She took a deep breath, attempting to find a comfortable position in her chair, but to no avail. Closing her eyes, she leaned back, quietly clenching her jaw, seeking solace.

"Are you alright?" her grandfather asked, concern etched on his face. Raina opened her eyes and offered him a tight smile, nodding in response.

Suddenly, her heart skipped a beat as she felt a rush of liquid soaking her chair and her dress. Her grandmother had mentioned something about this happening before the baby arrived.

"Raina?" her grandfather called out, his voice filled with worry. She didn't answer, her mind focused on what was happening.

With a sense of urgency, Raina spoke up, her voice measured but filled with alarm. "Grandmother, there is liquid."

Immediately, both of her grandparents rose from their seats, hurrying over to her side, their concern evident on their faces.

"Summon the maester," her grandmother commanded, her voice fraught with unease, as she carefully guided her granddaughter to a secluded chamber. Moments passed in a blur before the maester arrived, his expression grave.

"Let's examine you, young princess," he murmured, a hint of apprehension flickering across his face.

"Give us all you've got, Princess!" encouraged the midwife, her voice echoing in the silence. "Push!" she ordered.