40

Raina sat there, her eyes glaring at the people gathered around the table. She knew she should have been listening more attentively, but she couldn't seem to pull herself out of her own thoughts. She realized that seeking allies in this situation was needed, but her mind was consumed by her own concerns.

Daemon and Rhaenyra had accepted the deal, but they hadn't informed anyone yet. Whispers had been circulating, suggesting that Raina would have more children, but there were also the cryptic words they had spoken to her the night before. The echoes of their voices reverberated in her mind:

"In the shadows of battle, destiny's veil is drawn thin. The echoes of your steps grow faint, as sands slip through the hourglass. The tapestry of life frays, revealing threads meant to be severed. Beyond the conflict's crescendo, whispers fade, and silence awaits."

These words haunted her thoughts, leading her to believe that she too would suffer in this war. She didn't really care about her own fate as long as her children were safe, but since that night, she had been plagued by incessant whispers, repeating the enigmatic number "17."

"Raina," Daemon called, and Raina's eyes snapped up to meet his gaze. "Jace and Luke are going to fly to deliver letters to seek allies," he informed her. Raina glanced over at her brothers and nodded, understanding the importance of their mission.

"You'll be safe?" Raina asked, looking directly at Jace, who nodded in assurance before walking out. Then her attention turned to Luke. "Where are you going?" she inquired.

"Storm's End," Luke replied. Raina nodded, ruffling Luke's hair affectionately before he walked away. As she watched him depart, an overwhelming sense of uneasiness washed over her.

"Raina?" Daemon's voice broke her train of thought once again. He reached out to her, sensing that something was amiss. "Are you alright? You seem distracted," he expressed concern, realizing that he had never seen her so distant and uninterested before. There was something bothering her, but he couldn't quite discern what it was.

"I'm okay," Raina replied, nodding to reassure him. "I'm going to make sure the boys are in bed. Will you tell me when they get back?" she requested. Daemon nodded, silently acknowledging her request, as Raina turned to walk out of the room and down the hall toward their children's chambers.

"Mama!" Wyrion exclaimed, standing up with excitement. Raina smiled warmly and picked him up, then walked over to where Aerion lay on the bed, and Serion who was nestled in his crib.

"Mum, will you sing to us?" Aerion asked, his eyes sparkling with anticipation. Raina's smile widened, and she nodded as she settled herself next to them.

"In the night, under the moon's soft glow,
Dragons slumber, stars all a-snow.
Close your eyes, my little flame,
Dreams will dance, whisper your name," Raina sang softly, her gaze shifting to look at Serion.

"Hush now, my darlings, close your eyes tight,
In the realm of dreams, let your spirits take flight.
Fly with the dragons, under the night's sky,
My love is your lullaby, my sweet by-and-by," she continued, her voice gentle and soothing as she sang the lullaby to her children.

"Mama, where's father?" Wyrion asked, his eyes heavy with sleepiness.

"He's with Rhaenyra, my big dragon," Raina replied, humming softly as she continued to sing. "~Through the valleys, where rivers flow, Whispers of magic, in the moon's soft glow. Wings of dreams, where wishes reside, A tale of adventures, nowhere to hide.~"

"~As you drift on clouds, where dreams are spun, Know you're cherished, my radiant sun. With every breath, and every heartbeat, A melody of love, so soft and sweet.~"