4

Raina strolled through the majestic halls of Driftmark, bathed in the warm glow of the setting sun. Her destination was her father's location, accompanied by her beloved aunt.

"Hello, my dear girl," her aunt greeted her. They didn't have many opportunities to meet, so Raina cherished every moment spent with her.

"Hello, Auntie," Raina replied, her gaze shifting between her aunt's dragon and her own dragon eggs. She stood beside her father, a sense of anticipation filling the air. "Maybe when they hatch, they'll grow as large as Vhagar," Raina playfully remarked, her laughter echoing through the hall. Her aunt smiled affectionately at her.

"I wouldn't be surprised if they come close. These are quite substantial eggs," her aunt nodded, acknowledging their potential. Then, she took Raina's hand, her gaze locking with her niece's.

"If anything were to happen to me, I want you to be the first to try to calm Vhagar," she confided in Raina. "My dear girl, you possess greatness within you. You will achieve incredible things," her aunt assured her. Raina beamed at her aunt's words and then turned to her father, who returned her smile warmly.

"Nothing is going to happen to you," Raina reassured her beloved aunt, gazing into her eyes with concern.

"Nobody can stay forever, my dearest. You... you are the future of our family, Raina," her aunt responded, her voice filled with a mix of love and wisdom. "People will try to knock you down, tell you that you can't hold on to what's important to you. But you must always rise again, Raina. Always remember that," she continued, her eyes unwaveringly fixed on Raina.

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but about dancing in the rain," they all chimed in unison, their words resonating with meaning. Raina's father looked on, his smile reflecting pride and encouragement.

"Life itself is the storm, Raina, especially for someone like you," her aunt emphasized. "But don't let anyone silence you, no man or woman. Show them your greatness, Raina Thunderborn of House Velaryon," she declared, gently cupping Raina's face and pressing her forehead against hers.

"My dear daughter, do you remember the words of House Velaryon?" Raina's father inquired, and she nodded in response. "Tell us," he urged her.

"We Do Not Sow. We do not passively wait for opportunities to come our way. Instead, we forge our own path, driven by unwavering determination and indomitable spirit," Raina recited with conviction.

"You are a true Velaryon, and nothing in this world can hinder you from achieving your desires. Stand tall, my daughter, and never forget the strength that resides within you," her father affirmed, his voice filled with pride and parental love.

"Now, it's getting late," her aunt interjected. "Time for you to rest. Off to bed," she declared. Raina gently kissed her aunt's cheek and then her father's before making her way back.

As Raina walked down the hallway, undoing the braids in her long white hair that cascaded to nearly mid-thigh, she couldn't shake off an eerie feeling that settled within her as she lay down in her bed.

"Raina, my dear," her mama greeted as she entered the room. Raina rubbed her eyes, adjusting to the presence of her mama. "I will take over from here," she said to the maid who was assisting Raina with her dress. The maid nodded and exited the room.

"Is Father leaving today?" Raina inquired, looking up at her mama. She offered a small smile and nodded. "And Auntie?" Raina pressed further.

"She departed early this morning, not wanting to disturb your sleep," her mama informed her as she finished adjusting Raina's dress. "However, she did leave something for you," she added, handing Raina a small object.

Raina accepted the object, a ring, from her hand. It was a beautiful piece, adorned with a striking blue and red stone. But Raina's thoughts immediately gravitated towards one thing—the unsettling whispers that had plagued her the previous night.

"When the blue and red gift is given, everything will fall into place," they had whispered. "When the one most beloved to the young heart goes, there will be no going back."

Raina couldn't shake off the uncertainty surrounding the ring she now held. What did it signify? Would it bring forth favorable outcomes, or would it lead to something undesirable? Raina was left with unanswered questions, unsure of what lay ahead.

"It's beautiful," Raina commented, mustering a smile despite her inner turmoil.

"Come, we must see your father off," her mama urged. Raina nodded and walked alongside her, accompanying her until they reached where her father stood.

"Raina, my love," he greeted, lifting her up and embracing her tightly.

"I don't want you to go," Raina whispered, her voice filled with a hint of sadness. He held her even tighter. "I'm going to miss you," she added as he gently set her down.

"I'll be back before you know it," he assured her. Raina nodded, taking a step back as he mounted his dragon and soared into the sky above.

"When the one most beloved to the young heart goes, there will be no going back." Raina took a deep breath, feeling a sense of heaviness settle upon her. She turned and walked back to her room, consumed by her thoughts. Time seemed to slip away as she sat there, lost in contemplation, until she noticed the sun descending, casting shadows in the corners of her room. She knew it was time.

"Raina," a whisper reached her ears. Her head snapped towards the sound, but there was nothing there.

"What?" she whispered back, her curiosity piqued. Over time, the whispers had become more frequent, divulging more information to her. She could hear them more clearly now, almost engaging in full-fledged conversations. At times, they spoke in an unfamiliar language, one she was yet to comprehend.

"Fight," they whispered. Raina furrowed her brow. Fight? Hadn't she been fighting since the day she was born? Fighting to earn her father's attention, fighting for her brothers' affection, fighting for Rhaenyra's acknowledgement—the only thing that came to her mind was learning to fight physically, honing her skills in combat.

"I don't know how to fight," Raina confessed, a hint of frustration in her voice. "Mama won't allow Papa to teach me," she continued, recalling her grandfather's attempt to broach the subject, only to be swiftly shut down by her mama's insistence that she was a lady.

"We will teach you," the whispers responded, their voices barely audible.

"How?" Raina questioned, her curiosity piqued. How could they teach her when they were not physically present?

"Listen," they urged. Raina took a moment to focus, attuning her senses to the subtle whispers that surrounded her. Slowly, the whispers grew louder, and as they did, the shadows in her room seemed to lighten. Raina exhaled, a sense of calm washing over her, as she stood and made her way towards her bed, ready to listen and learn.