38

"Raina," she heard, causing her to look around. She stood in her grandfather's chamber. His eyes moved to look at her, and his face was no longer burdened with sickness.

"Raina, my dear, a child born of the flame, one that is not yet made, will sit on the throne. Because of you, the younger," he said. Raina was confused.

"What?" she asked, taking a step towards him.

"Aegon," he whispered, looking at her. "The seeds have been sown. Now it is time for the flame. The child child, not yet made, will reign along with the younger. It has been foretold," he said. Raina shook her head.

"Grandfather?" Raina said. His voice, every time he spoke, fell into a familiar sound, a familiar voice that echoed through her head.

"Child, child, one will reign. Child, child, carries the flame. The seeds, three seeds, have been made. Now it is time for the flame child, child. Raina carries the flame, keeps the lineage pure for the carriers of the flame," her grandfather spoke, his voice filled with urgency.

"The seeds must have one of the flames. Raina, keep the lineage pure as the one reigns," he continued. Raina looked at him with wide eyes, still not fully understanding.

"Grandfather?... Oww!" Raina jerked forward, grabbing her belly in pain.

"Wake up."

Raina's eyes snapped open, and she quickly scanned her surroundings. Raina lay in bed next to Daemon, her round belly experiencing sharp pains that shot through her body.

"Oh, gods," Raina huffed, her eyes scanning the dark room. She had been enduring pain all night, and now the sun was beginning to rise. "Gods, how long will this last?" Raina groaned.

"Your labor will not end until the cursed seed is born," the whispers said. Raina sighed, turning to her side. "At the end of the day, the third seed will be born, but with sorrow and anger. The flame will do it alone, with only the whispers to help," they continued.

Raina shifted to her other side, her fingernails digging into Daemon's side.

"Raina?" Daemon said, opening his eyes and looking at her. Raina remained still, wondering why the pain was escalating to this extent if she was expected to endure it all day.

"Daemon," Raina hissed. Daemon sat up, concerned.

"You're a fucking cunt," she said, closing her eyes.

"Oh," Daemon said. "You've begun your labor," he said, getting up

"I don't need the Maesters yet!" Raina hissed, sitting up and looking at him. "Get Wyrion and Aerion ready for the day," she said.

"Raina," Daemon started.

"Just let me be," Raina said firmly. "I will call if I need something." Daemon nodded and walked out of the room. Raina placed her hands on her belly and gazed up at the ceiling.

"Fuck," Raina hissed. It was going to be a long day, and she knew it. Raina paced around the room, alternately lying on the bed and getting on her hands and knees, trying anything to alleviate the pain. But it only intensified as the day wore on.

"Princess," the midwife said softly, entering the room. Raina clung to the bedpost, her body covered in sweat, her hair sticking to her face. Her eyes were tightly closed as she rocked back and forth, enduring the waves of pain.

"What!?" Raina hissed, her head snapping towards the midwife.

"Your brothers are wanting to see you," the midwife said calmly. Raina huffed, letting out a small yelp of pain before nodding reluctantly.