Chapter 35 - MAYA

I sipped from my glass and smiled as my mother sat beside me, playing with Gia in her arms.

"Look at that nose. That's a Garcia nose."

"Mom how do you know what a Garcia nose looks like?"

"Because I do." She stated. "Garcia's have strong features. Where do you think you got your nose from?"

"Um, myself?"

"Myself," she mocked, "that's the nose of a legendary ice skater. Remember that."

"Here you go again with the fantasy," I laughed.

"Hey I was a damn good skater."

"Was?"

"Yes, was. Now I have back pains and joint problems so I'm retired."

I cackled loudly as she stood before me with a prideful expression. "Whatever helps you sleep at night-"

Hearing my ringtone, I grabbed my phone from my jeans and saw who was calling me.

"I'll be right back mom."

"Okay sweetheart, don't go too far. We're singing happy birthday to your aunt soon."

"I promise I won't miss it."

I walked up the porch steps and went inside the house, sliding the door close behind me. Sighing, I accepted the call.

"Now's not a good time D5 I'm in the middle of somethi-"

"We've got a problem."

I frowned, "A problem? What kind of problem?"

"A problem problem. Word got out sooner than we expected. Tesoro knows you're in town."

"What? How? I've been inside most of this trip."

"I don't know. I'm waiting for the details but what I do know is that you and your people aren't safe uptown."

"Alright well what do you want me to do? I can't just tell them to get out of the house, they don't know what's going on."

"None of them?"

"I mean Rafael and Javier's here. Besides them, no one else knows."

"Shit.....you three need to figure out a plan asap. Time's of the essence and there's no telling what's about to go down."

"Fine. I'll think of something. Thanks for the heads up D5."

"No problem. I'll call you if I get any new info. Hit my line if something goes wrong."

"Alright."

I hung up, throwing my phone across the kitchen counter in frustration.

I'm screwed.

My mind tried to grasp the situation but there was no logical answer as to what went wrong. Grabbing my phone so I could return outside, I saw Rafael standing at the backdoor looking skeptical.

"Everything good cousin?"

I shook my head, "Nah."

"What's going on."

"It's Tesoro.....he knows."

"Knows what? Knows you're here?"

"Yeah. D5 just called to give me the news."

"This can't be right. I mean me and Javi were mad careful driving back, especially since we had to drive to the Heights to grab Gia. There was police patrolling and everything. Nobody saw us."