Chapter 4 - JAMILA

"Jamila, she's ready for you in room four."

"Great. Thanks JB."

I stood up and walked to the back of the tattoo parlor to my designated room.

I'd set up an appointment with Nia today to get a tattoo. I'd gotten a few done by her before but now that she didn't seem to be so busy, I wanted to book a session with her before that changed.

The room was filled with different vinyl records covering the walls and you could hear soothing hip-hop music being played from down the hallway.

I waved at a few of the other artists as I passed by their rooms to get to Nia. When I walked in, she was sitting at her small desk, sketching out a sleeve portrait for another client.

"Well look who finally decided to show up to work for once."

She looked up, laughing at my shade. "Ha-ha, you got jokes now huh?"

"I'm just saying girl, I haven't seen you in months. Thought you hitched a flight to Alaska or something."

"Nah, I've just been in my zone. You know? That warehouse shit ain't a joke. I barely get time to book sessions with the hours they giving me."

"How is it? You still into it with your manager?"

"Into it? Man that dude hates me. I'm shocked I still have a job."

"Don't stress about it. Things get better over time. Just let him do him and you keep doing you."

Nia laughed, "Look at you being wise and shit."

"Mama raised me right," I giggled while sitting down in my chair.

Nia glided in her rolling chair from her desk to my seat as I laid my purse on the small side table beside me.

"Alright, you still getting the tattoo that you sent to me yesterday right?"

"Yeah. Super simple, just something to add to the rest of my little tattoo collection."

"Fine with me. I'm just gonna prep you right quick, it shouldn't take more than ten minutes for me to knock this out though."

"I'm ready when you are."

As I watched Nia shaved my index finger and got me prepped for the stencil. I've never gotten a tattoo on my hand but I've been told it may cause a bit of a burn so I braced myself when she picked up her tattoo gun.

She started doing the initial lines as the music playing in the background was the only ambiance in the room. I wanted to start a conversation about our FaceTime call but I didn't want to push on a sensitive topic.

"Go ahead."

I frowned, "What?"

"I said go ahead, you've been sitting there staring at me for the longest, so go ahead. Talk to me."

She smiled, continuing my lines as I bit my lip. Was I about to embarrass myself? What if she doesn't want to tell me any of the details?

"So.....," I started, "are you excited about Maya coming home?"

Dumbass, of course she's excited. Why would you ask that?

"Yeah. I've been feeling empty without her so at least a void will finally be filled for me. Plus her aunt and mom miss her a ton."

"Yeah, I'm bummed she couldn't get released earlier though. She didn't deserve those extra charges."

"Judge was a bitch but he spared her more than he should've, so I'm not too upset about it. I know she hated it since her mom spent majority of her life in there. She missed out on a lot. That had to have ate her up after she got locked up."