Chapter 10 - DAKOTA

9:23 PM

My mind was zoned out as I finished adding the last few overlays to this track I'd been working on for my new artist. He was a young dude from Houston but he decided to bring his talents to the ATL and his manager hired me on as their main sound engineer for his music.

Life's been peachy since I graduated college to be honest. Professor Folami ended up getting fired and I almost got expelled because she tried to throw me under the bus, but the school board believed my story over hers.

Safe to say, she won't be teaching in the state of Georgia any time soon.

I graduated with a degree in music and I've enjoyed every minute of it. I live with my mom still but I've got my reasons.

Still, I make sure to help out with bills and other shit around the house so it's no big deal for me.

I saved my track in my music file on my laptop and started scrolling on IG for a little minute just to clear my head. While I was scrolling, this ad popped up for pampers and the baby in the commercial was so cute.

Baby.

The night of the dance was filled with hell and misery. While the others were dealing with the whole Maya situation, I was at home holding Adriana.

I remember those moments as if they had just happened this morning.....

Adri was on the floor crying, screaming out in pain. The blood coming from her basically flooded the bathroom floor and I was in total shock. I couldn't even call EMS because I was completely out of it.

Adri had to pull herself together and talk me through my walk to the living room so that I could get my phone and call for help. She's so strong.

EMS rushed her to the hospital and of course, I rode in the ambulance with her. They transported us to the ER and they took her to the back immediately.

A few nurses had to calm me down because I was a total mess. My accident made me realize life was so precious and that we should never take the people we love or our time on Earth for granted.

Seeing my babygirl laid out like that in pain, screaming for help made me want to die on the inside because I couldn't help her.

My mom showed up minutes after the nurse called and she'd brought Jalen and Jamila with her. About an hour or two of being there, a doctor came out and let me go back to visit her in her room.

Another doctor walked in and explained to the both of us that Adriana had a miscarriage and that she was six weeks pregnant. The excessive bleeding came from a uterine hemorrhage. The way they explained it was that she'd had the miscarriage, but shortly after that, she started to bleed more than she was supposed to.

He said that they were able to stop the bleeding for now so that they can run more tests, but she was going to have to undergo a small procedure.

Hearing that she was pregnant was one thing, but a miscarriage? I never knew she was pregnant. And come to find out, she didn't either.

The night that was supposed to be filled with memories slowly turned into a nightmare of trauma.

"Dakota....."

I jumped in my seat, hitting my knee against the bottom of my desk. "Shit!"

"Aw baby are you okay? I didn't mean to scare you. I'm sorry."

I winced at the subtle throb in my leg. "It's okay. I'm fine, don't worry about it."

The smell of her sweet perfume made me turn around in my chair, seeing her small figure standing in my doorway.