Chapter 9 - JAMILA

"Thank you so much for the tour Iris, I really appreciate the help. I hope this didn't detour you off your schedule too much."

"Oh it's no problem at all love, you're a quick learner so this entire day has been a blast to share with you."

Me and Iris made a turn down the familiar hallway, heading back into the employee lounge.

"And here's where our journey ends. Do you have any other questions for me?"

"I think I'm good now. I'm just going to stop by my mom's office before I clock out for the day."

"Okay, be sure to call me if you need anything else, alright? If you get lost, remember that I'm at the front desk until four o'clock."

"Thank you so much Iris, I hope you enjoy the rest of your day."

"You do the same, I'll see you bright and early Monday morning so I can show you to your office."

"I'll see you then."

She smiled and walked out of the lounge, leaving me in a large common area semi-filled with other attorney's and firm employees.

This entire day has been fun and informative. Of course I got a few weird looks because I'm my mom's daughter, but I felt like I belonged here in a way.

The atmosphere was amazing and I loved that I was surrounded by determined professionals who seemed to be good at what they do.

I walked out of the lounge and made my way up a flight of stairs, making a shortcut through a long-bending hallway to get to my mom's office on the third floor.

The blinds to her office were somewhat open and I could see her stacking some papers together before putting them into a manila-folder.

I approached her door and knocked softly, easing it open as I did so to get her attention.

"Hope I'm not disturbing you. I was about to clock out and wanted to stop by before I left."

"Hey baby girl, come in-come in. Where you headed off to?"

"I was going to get a bite to eat then head home. I'm trying to think of how I want to decorate my office Monday," I replied while sitting down in the chair that sat in front of her long wooden desk.

"I've heard a lot of my colleagues have their eyes on the newest paralegal. A few are already getting ready to inquire your services for some upcoming cases. Are you excited?"

"I'm really excited. This seems like a step in the right direction and I'm ready to see where it takes me."

"I'm glad to hear. You've worked so hard to get through school and now you're finally a professional in the making. I'm so proud of you baby."

I smiled, "Thanks mom."

"Have you thought of any colors for your offi-"

The phone that sat next to her file cabinet started to ring and she rolled her eyes at the caller id.

"Samuel. Sorry baby, I've got to take this. He's been bugging me all day about this system error and now we can't get any new files put into the system."

"Go ahead, I'll see you tonight at home."

I stood up and leaned over the desk, giving her a kiss on the cheek before leaving out of the office.

As I approached the end of the hallway, I took a deep breath, taking in my surroundings. There were people bustling in every direction with suitcases and files in their hands. This felt like something out of a movie and here I was, living in the reality of a business woman.