Chapter 7 - MAYA

"This is beautiful. I can't wait to decorate my room."

I continued my tour around the luxury home that was now mine. That felt so weird to say. My house.

"Well, it's actually already decorated." Nia said as we continued our walk down the long hallway.

"What?"

"Yeah, your mom didn't really know who'd you choose to live with so she decorated your room anyways. She wanted to be sure that you had a comfortable place to stay whenever you decided to stop by."

"Damn, she really didn't think I'd stay?"

Nia shrugged, "I don't know. Her and aunt Linda probably didn't want you to feel like you had to pick a side."

"That's ridiculous though. I mean I get it, but shit, I'll be over tía's house just as much."

"Good, that mean's I can keep whooping your ass on the game then."

I pushed her a little and laughed, "Yeah right, you know who to talk shit to. I ain't been gone that long."

"Sure, sure. But this is your room right here."

We approached the farthest room upstairs. The door was closed and I was actually a bit nervous to see the other side.

I didn't get to have a really cool room back when we were living in my mom's apartment. To know that my room has had a major upgrade, is a bit heartwarming.

I turned the doorknob and slowly opened the door, speechless at the sight of the room before me.

"Woah," I mumbled, "this shit is tight."

The room was painted a heather gray color and had nice, clean white trim all around the room. My bed matched the gray and white theme of the room which made me smile a little.

"That's not even the best part, check this out."

Nia grabbed my wrist and pulled me over to the opposite side of the room where a desk was placed against the wall. Above the desk were various plaques and certificates in frames.

"What's all of this?"

"This my friend, is every achievement you've received since kindergarten. Honor roll, perfect attendance, everything. And look, we hung up your diploma."

I smiled, still pained that I wasn't able to graduate with the others. I was ultimately expelled for being involved in illegal activity, which led to me being kicked from the basketball team indefinitely and rejected by almost every high school when I tried to re-enroll from the pen.

But Washington High let me enroll and finish out my classes since I was so close to graduating. We may have been rivals but the school came through for me.

"Damn, this is beautiful. I love it."

I walked around the room and continued to view my new home. I frowned when I saw a particular bag sitting in the corner of my closet.

"Yo," I lifted the bag for Nia to see, "is this my fucking duffle?"

"Surprise?" She said.

"How the hell did my bag get here? I was looking everywhere for it."

"Funny story. I had Ryan come by while you were in the shower and I gave her the bag so she could bring it here. Seemed convenient."

I laughed, "Good looks. I'll definitely have to go shopping for some new clothes, you know them push-ups bulked my arms a little."

I flexed as she plopped down in my desk chair, fake vomiting at my joke.