Chapter 32 - MAYA

I continued to stare at the ceiling as I imagined a million different scenarios about this meet up with Mateo.

Does he have beef with me?
Is there a hidden agenda behind this meeting?
What if he thinks I'm secretly working with Tesoro?

My worries were slowly haunting me and I was afraid of the worst happening tonight.

The buzzing of my phone sitting on the bed beside me made all of my thoughts disappear. I checked my notifications and saw that I had a few missed messages.

Mila💚
Goodnight <3

Nia👽
Don't throw a party in the basement while we sleeping 😂 night night

Mama💐
I need you to run to the grocery store in the morning
I left a list and the house key on the coffee table. Sweet dreams míja💜

Rafael
Let's go

Immediately, I got up and slid my hoodie back on, tightening my durag before I left the basement.

The whole house was silent and completely dark.

I grabbed the spare key my mom left on the coffee table before leaving the house and locking up.

The familiar tinted car was parked in the middle of the road, ready to pull off.

Making my way down the driveway and sidewalk, I hopped in the back of the car and got comfortable in my seat as we drove away.

"Ayo, we meeting him in the Hills?" I asked, buckling my seat-belt.

"Nah. Too close to home. He's meeting us at this parking garage we used to trap at." Rafael said.

"Man. I hope he doesn't think I'm on Tesoro's side."

"Trust me, he doesn't."

"How you know?"

"Because Mateo's big on loyalty. To find out if someone's loyal he does his research on them beforehand. If you were snaking him, he'd know."

I nodded. "Fuck started the beef between y'all anyways?"

Javier chuckled. "A bunch of shit led to it but the true beef started when Alejandro and the Casiano's went into business. Started taking the Brook by storm."

"Then they started isolating us because our dad wasn't affiliated with the Casiano's or the Garcia's." Rafael added. "We have his last name, not our mom's so exiled us before we even got into the game."

"So now he's trying to rebuild granddad's empire by merging the two families together and taking over every territory he can."

I frowned, "So how did y'all link with Mateo?"

"We were on the basketball team in high school so we knew who he was well. Dude always looked out for us and we did the same for him. After Alejandro started dissing us and our people, we got into it a lot with niggas from the Heights."

"Yeah," Javier agreed, "his dad got us into the game and we became a part of Qiller Hill Boyz right before he passed."

"He's dead?" I asked.