Chapter 6 - MAYA

"You have got to turn this fucking air conditioning down Nia. You gone catch pneumonia one day, I swear."

"It seems like you should've brought a jacket then, huh. "

"If I knew I was gonna freeze to death I would've brought a ski suit instead."

"Stop whining. Besides, we're almost to our destination."

"About time. We done made fifteen stops thus far, yo ass must be moving weight."

She frowned and propped her free hand on her hip, "First of all I'm a lady, we don't move weight."

I laughed so hard I bit my tongue. "Man don't ever do that shit again."

Nia flipped me off as we pulled into this subdivision I'd never seen before. I looked around at the neighborhood, watching as the beautiful houses passed us by.

I smiled a little, wondering if one day I'd live in nice homes like this. I love my aunt Linda's house, but I knew that I couldn't live with her forever.

Nia pulled into someone's driveway that was completely empty and didn't seem to be anyone inside from the looks of it.

I frowned, "Who's crib is this?"

"Ah this my cousin Myles new house. Come on, I told him you were coming with me. We won't be here too long. I know you wanna get settled in."

"Yeah I only managed to get a shower in. I went back in the room and I couldn't find my stuff. I could've sworn I brought my bag up but I might've left it in the living room. I'll have to double check when we get back."

She nodded, "Then I'll make this quick. Let's go."

I unbuckled my seatbelt and hopped out of the car, walking up the long driveway and stopping at this beautiful brown mahogany-like door.

Nia knocked on the door, waiting patiently for a response.

"Oh shit Maya, turn around! You got a spider on your back!"

I quickly spun around and felt her harshly rub the back of my shirt, trying to knock off the spider she saw.

"Hurry up! Hurry up! You know I hate spiders!"

"I'm trying, I'm trying!"

As she kept shaking my shirt and wiping it in sequences, I heard the front door swing open and heard screaming from the inside.

"SURPRISE!"

I quickly turned around to see what all of the commotion was about and instantly got weak in the knees at the sight of the crowd standing before me.

Everyone that I loved and cared about was standing right in front of me. I couldn't believe it. Nia walked inside and through her arms up.

"Welcome home sis!" She yelled, receiving screams and cheers from everyone else.

My hand flew to my eyes as I fought to keep the tears that were forming from falling. I walked away from the door frame a little and turned my back to the doorway.

And in that moment I finally felt like I had a family of some kind. A group of people came together to surprise me and celebrate my return, I couldn't ask for a better life.

I looked around the neighborhood and sighed, damn. This felt so surreal.

My legs felt so heavy, but I forced them to carry me back to the doorway and into the nicely decorated home.

"There's someone who wants to see you," Nia stated. She walked into the living room out of my view, and slowly came back with a hand in hers.

"Maya....."