Fontaine, Part 5

Part 5

Each time Lumine checked the otter's wound, it got significantly better. They visited Areta again and the doctor removed the stitches since the wound was already healed. Plue was finally healthy and ready to return to the sea.

They marched back to the shores of the Canyon where they initially found the otter.

A strong wind current swept past them, fluttering Lumine's hair and dress. The setting sun that painted the sky a yellow-orange color reflected through the glassy waters of Fontaine. They stood by the shore and watched the sea swallow the golden sun slowly, sucking its glow behind the curtain of waters. It captivated the Traveler. How could such a breath-taking city have such a morbid fate? The prophecy was bound to flood the city and reduce everyone to a puddle, but looking at Fontaine's landscape made it seem like nothing was amiss.

She set Plue over the sand, kneeling beside him, feeling melancholic to part with the sweet companion.

Plue's tail twirled and he circled around Lumine curiously. "It's time to go..." she murmured gently, "back to your home."

"Paimon will cheer you on! Goodbye, Plue, and take care of yourself!" Paimon waved at the otter.

"And don't get yourself injured again," Lumine added.

The otter didn't seem to understand them. Plue bowed his head, circled Lumine a few times, then snuggled back into her arms.

"Awww, Plue doesn't want to go," Paimon said.

Lumine petted his head. "We will miss you too, Plue. But you need to return to your home. Your otter family is probably worried." This time, she removed her boots and stockings and treaded to the shore. The frigid waters made her shiver but she pressed on until the waters rose to her knees. There, she released Plue who dived around a few times. He let out a long whine as if to say goodbye before his tiny head sank back into the water. The otter swam into the sea, to his true home.

On the way back, she paused to see her footprints wash away from the shore. Even the sea was telling her she was leaving nothing indelible in this world. She found herself thinking about Alhaitham. Lumine hadn't dreamed of him ever since their last encounter. Maybe he didn't miss her as much as she did... Her body felt heavy as she dragged her legs to the location of her stockings and shoes, clumsily wearing them back and dusting the edge of her dress.

"Traveler, let's head back to city. Paimon is starving, she can eat a whole bore!"

Lumine nodded without a word and they started to the dirt road leading to The Court.

***

The snap of a wood nearby made Lumine and Paimon stop. Hilichurls? No. The pair had been walking peacefully along a trail that lead to The Court and just as she was about to question how and why they hadn't encountered a single enemy on the road, out came the lithe form of a Fatui Operative. The enemy tapped her cane and charged to the Traveler without warning. A quick, round slash sent Lumine reeling back, leaving a trail of cryo in its wake. The enemy had infused her sword with the cryo element.

Lumine knew the drill, these Fatui enemies simply fight anyone and anything on site, unprovoked or not, like battle-hungry lunatics. Lumine summoned her trusty dull blade. It dropped to her hand from above and she waved it with expertise she had earned from years of wielding the sword. Rushing to the enemy, she slashes her sword forward. The dull metal rang against the Fatui's weapon. The Traveler's strength was enough to sent the Fatui staggering back but the blow wasn't enough to defeat her.

The Fatui quickly recovered. She summoned a deathly icicle over Lumine's head. It sliced from above but Lumine dodged, hair and dress flying as she leapt. Her response wasn't quick enough to fully evade the attack. The icicle grazed the back of her leg and it left a long gash. Blood spread over her stocking and the tail end of her dress, a striking contrast to the purity of her outfit. She landed to the ground with a yelp, dirt scarping her arms and legs.