Cerberus, Part 4

Part 4

Wriothesley had been sleeping peacefully in his designated quarters when he scented her arousal.

That night, he had decided to come to bed early after a long day of paperwork and bland administrative tasks. The Traveler had been hounding his thoughts throughout the day, more so when he was left alone in bed, staring at the uncomforting ceiling of his quarters. He had wondered when would be the best time to call her to the office again and have a chat. Would tomorrow be too soon? No, that would make him too obvious, too desperate. He needed to make sure she didn't see his advances in a negative light.

The first tea session they had was, to his standards, passable. He was able to show her he was a friend and assure her he had her back whenever she needed it. Yet he hadn't failed to notice her guard up around him. Wriothesley could almost see the invisible wall dividing them, keeping a professional distance between him and his mate.

He had heard her sweet laughter with her friends and he envied them for it, because never had she shown the same friendly openness with him, if his wolf form didn't count. Their moment at the forest was engraved in his mind. The way she leaned in to him and brushed his fur made his blood sigh in pleasure. And he wanted more; he ached for more.

But he needed to take things slowly, get her to open up, know more about her. The tea session they had was a small step to a bright future he envisioned. 

He was having these thoughts before finally falling asleep. Until the sweet aroma of his mate had broken into his dreams. He started awake, blinking and half-asleep. His bed creaked noisily as he rolled over and about, trying to figure out what was going on.

Wriothesley didn't need to shift to attain the heightened senses of a wolf. All he needed to do was focus and isolate where the scent was coming from. From his bed, his mind's eye traveled to the dorms which was a floor above the Administrative Area. He found the source, Lumine's quarters, which was a good distance from his own. His bedroom was located next to the office.

The closed door barred his mind from entering the room. His ears pricked when he heard a moan from beyond. The scent grew stronger, and a growl rose from his throat. He knew she was rooming with Paimon. Is somebody else there with her? One of the prisoners perhaps... or one of the guards. The thought sent his nerves to a frenzy and the next thing he knew, he was storming down the Fortress with nothing but his night shirt and a pair of trousers, an unbecoming sight for the respected Duke.

"Your Grace!" Estienne, who was patrolling on night duty, greeted to attention, saluting with unmasked shock. His pupils followed the respected figure who promptly ignored him, walking briskly and barefoot to the direction of the lift.

Galvaryet and Maupoil, the guards stationed next to the lift were blinking themselves to sleep when the threatening shape of the Duke materialized in their vision like a lethal apparition in the dead of night. They shot up in their seats and saluted. "Your Grace! H-how may we be of assistance?"

He ignored them too. Wriothesley had no time for these clowns neglecting their duty. He needed to get to Lumine right now. If he needed to tear down that door he would, and whoever that son-of-a-bitch she was sharing her bed with was going to say his last prayer tonight, because there was no way in Teyvat he was letting that man walk the face of earth after taking what was his. If the Duke wanted somebody dead, he needed no justification.

Wriothesley maneuvered the lift to the second floor and more guards and prisoners spotted him with their faces aghast. They didn't even bother to hide their surprise. Not that it mattered. It was all a blur in his mind. All he could think was her scent. It was driving him insane. The thought of her tumbling around with another man was killing him.