Cerberus, Part 6

Part 6

"Or I'll scream at the top of my lungs..." she repeated and grimaced. It sounded so pathetic whenever she said it out loud. There were plenty of ways she could've fought back from his dominance. Summoning the precious Dull Blade and ending him right there was the quickest option. But how was she to explain to the Iudex why she crossed swords with the Duke?

She had found herself growing smaller as he stared her down in the office. What was even more bizarre was a tiny part of her wanted to submit. She hated how when he pressed his body on her, her nerves had gone haywire. She accounted her lack of sexual fulfillment for the sensation, remembering how her dream with Alhaitham had ended prematurely. Still, a part of her wondered if it would count as cheating. Guilt plagued her in the days that followed.

Lumine knelt next to Paimon at the cot they had spread in the forest. They had decided to set camp at the same location they fought the Fatui Operative. She dragged the pack they brought filled with raw meat and snacks.

"Do you think he will come?" Paimon chirped.

"I hope so. I mean we've been doing this for three days... I just want to thank him." They've been frequenting the place where they met the wolf who saved them from the Fatui. Lumine wanted to show gratitude by offering food and snacks, but they haven't seen him again at all. "Better keep an eye out."

She was fixing the wrapping of the salted meat when Paimon exclaimed, "Traveler, it's him!" Her floating companion pointed to the woods next to them and true enough the silhouette of a dark wolf stalked closer but stopped right behind a tree.

Lumine detected his hesitation, but she wouldn't let this opportunity slip away. She grabbed a meat, unwrapped it hastily, and urged it forward with both hands. Even though he were pretty far from them, she hoped the scent would be enough to draw him in. "Here. Wolf, we brought you some food." The Traveler made sure to stay glued on the spot. The creature might interpret any unnecessary movements as threat. When he made no response, she continued, "we mean no harm. We just want to thank you for saving us."

"She's right. Paimon wants to thank you!" Paimon echoed.

That seemed to convince him. He stepped out of the shadows. His majestic form drew her eyes, making her unable to look away. She knew he was this big from their last encounter, but it still impressed her.

He padded to them calmly, tail hanging low. When he stopped close enough, she noticed he wasn't looking at the meat at all. The creature was staring at her face.

"Umm... don't you want this?" she offered the meat. He made no movement. "How about some snacks?" She pulled out bread and pastries from the pack. Still, no response. Lumine thought hard; she recalled how he responded positively when she petted him. So, she reached out.

"Careful, Traveler..." Paimon said.

"No, he won't hurt us." The wolf stayed rooted when she touched the fur below his ears. She began petting him. He leaned closer and sighed. That seemed to do the trick...

****

It had been days since Wriothesley had a fight with the Traveler. Whenever he remembered the words she hurled at him, his heart would clench. But he was carefully not to show anyone that he was hurting.

The man wanted nothing more than to invite her over and bond with her again, clear any misunderstandings they have, all the while filling himself with her sweet scent. But every time he recalled her accusations, his anger boiled over his desires.

She thinks I'm a monster. Lumine probably thought he deserved to be in the Fortess. That was where he belonged, with criminals. And he might have believed her had he met her when he was younger. But a lot had happened since Neuvillette had sentenced him and his ascension to power. He no longer had any regrets over the crimes he had committed, and if he were to return to the time when he committed murder, he'd easily do it again.