The Aftermath, Part 5

Part 5

The three sat at a table in the Hotel Debord. Lumine studied the menu page by page while the Duke hung an arm over the backrest of the chair, watching the girl before him with rapt attention. Paimon pointed at some dishes then quickly changed her mind when Lumine switched to the next page.

"I'll have Garlic Baguette and Cream of Mushroom soup," Lumine said to the same waiter who had served them when she dined with Navia at the hotel months ago.

"Me too!" Paimon said.

"I'll have Foie Gras," Wriothesley added.

The waiter listed the orders quietly and left.

The Traveler glanced around, taking in the atmosphere. People dining from far away tables talked in hushed voices as waiters wheeled foods, condiments, and wine bottles that complimented the dishes. The clinking of the trays, the scratching of knives and forks on plates and the smell of freshly baked bread filled her senses. The gramophone beside them began playing some slow saxophone music. It almost felt like a romantic date, except she couldn't be on a date with the Duke. This is a birthday party, Lumine repeated to herself. Thankfully, Paimon was there to prove it.

"Today isn't really my birthday."

"What do you mean?" Paimon asked.

"I don't know my real birthday. I mentioned before that I was adopted so I have no idea about the circumstances of my birth - where and when I was born. I took this date as my birthdate."

Lumine picked up a glass and ruminated over it. "It must've been a meaningful day for you. " She sipped the water.

"It was the day I entered the Fortress. A criminal serving his time in the Fortress - that was the new identity I chose. I gave myself a new name and a new birthday. I was starting with a clean slate."

"You mean you purposefully chose that complicated name?" Lumine said, disgusted.

He cackled. "I picked it from the newspaper I read a long time ago, and it came in handy. Like when guards are chasing after you, you'd be long gone by the time they pronounce your name correctly."

Lumine raised an eyebrow, putting down the glass. "Sounds like you had alot of experience. You do look like you'd get into to trouble from time to time."

"That's harsh!" He pretended to be offended.

The three laughed.

The waiter came in with the orders and spread them carefully. He poured them a glass of fruit juice each, and they began enjoying the dishes.

Lumine lowered her spoon. "Still, I can't believe we're seeing you outside the Fortress. We thought you never leave that place." She tore a piece of the bread and dipped it on the mushroom soup.

"I may be the Fortress' administrator but I'm a free man. I finished serving my sentence long ago so there's nothing stopping me from taking the occasional breather in the overworld. And the prophecy's done with. We currently don't have any problems that require my round-the-clock presence."

"That's good to hear. Being away from the sun for too long can be unhealthy. You should travel to the overworld more often. Fontaine is such a beautiful place." Lumine gave him a radiant smile.

It was paralyzing. He stopped eating and stared at her, breath escaping his lips. His wolf purred. The Duke quickly cleared his throat. "I have a house at the Vasari Passage. Wanna check it out?"

A nasty joke popped in her head, something about casually inviting someone to your house on the first date. She then chastised herself for letting such a joke form in her head at all. Lumine bit her lips and shook her head vigorously. "Thank you for the offer but-"