The Aftermath, Part 6

Part 6

The gray-haired man fixed his attire as he gazed at himself in the mirror. He combed his hair, adjusted his tunic, clasped the belt bag bearing his personal effects, and donned the Scribe's signature cape displaying the Dendro vision on his shoulder. Everything must be in order. Hands dug through the belt bag, retrieving the soundproof earpieces. These, too, went where they should be. In actuality, he didn't need them, but nothing should be left amiss. The man in the mirror was too sharp for his own good. The last time he had misplaced his possessions out of carelessness, Alhaitham had noticed and recorded everything in his head. The Scribe knew he was up to something, so he had to be more cautious than ever.

He glanced around the scholar's bedroom and his eyes landed on the letter he'd been reading every night. The poor child had been so lovesick he was ready to sacrifice half of Sumeru to get his lover back, yet his bed was cold, the lover nowhere to be seen. The slightly crumpled letter hung between his fingers. Alhaitham held on to it every night, hoping to meet her in the dreaming world.

A small smile stretched his lips.

The lover in question was in Meropis. Or should I say Fontaine? Ah, the memories. Remus, you fool.

If he were given full reins, he'd be sure never to let Lumine out of his sight, but Alhaitham was too young, too naive, to understand that when you lose someone you lose them forever.

Confident at his deception, he sauntered out of the bedroom. Today was the day he was getting the information he needed. If he had to use his power, then, so be it. A high-pitched voice stopped him in his tracks.

"You're up late."

The man wheeled and saw the blond-haired roommate named Kaveh. The talkative architect.

Kaveh held up a sketch and nodded as he sat at the lounge, satisfaction reflecting on his face. He looked back at Alhaitham. "Not that it's any of my business, but I'm just surprised to see you up at," he glanced at the wall clock, "two in the morning. Did you have another nightmare, about Lumine?"

"No," he responded stiffly.

The roommate frowned. "You're not running to Fontaine again, are you?"

"I'm attending some Akademiya matters."

"At two AM?"

"I'm currently conducting a confidential research project. There are some papers I left in the office and I'm to retrieve them now," Alhaitham answered mechanically.

Kaveh's eyes sparked. Something clicked in his head and he picked up the blueprint of his latest project, flashing it before his friend. "You know what this reminds me of?"

Is this trick? He glanced at the sketch depicting a contemporary Mondstadt building, but nothing came to him. So he chose not to respond, letting the talkative architect lead the talking.

"Doesn't ring a bell? At all?"

Alhaitham shrugged.

"Well, that hurts my feelings... Look closely. Doesn't this remind you of the last project we worked together at the Akademiya? The one that caused our, ahem, falling out?"

"Right... Now that you mention it, it reminds of that time as well."

Kaveh's face fell. "How can you forget the project we worked together? We called it Decoding the Runes and Architectural Philosophy of the Ruins of Decarabian's Civilization."

"Yes. It is just as I remember it."

The architect swallowed. His fingers trembled as he laid down the blueprint. "As I was drawing this, I remembered the time when we met up at Lambad's Tavern. I was at the lowest point in my life. Not being sentimental about our project, but... I just happen to remember everything. It feels nostalgic." he sighed dramatically. "That time, you asked me how was realizing me ideals gone for me. Do you remember what I said?"