Chapter 51

It's now time for the Class of 2006 Graduation.

"When we were five, they asked us what we wanted to be when we try up," Jessica says on the stage, "our answers were things like astronaut, the president, or in my case,  Princess. When we were ten, they asked again and we answered - rock star, cowboy, or in my case, gold medalist. But now that we've grown up, they want a serious answer. Well, how 'bout this: who the hell knows?"

The crowd - students and parents and family - hoot and holler. Abel smiles in pride as he feels Bella tighten her grip on his hand as Jessica's words sink into her brain.

"This isn't the time to make hard and fast decisions," Jess continues, "it's the time to make mistakes. Take the wrong train, and get stuck somewhere chill. Fall in love -- a lot. Major in philosophy because there's no way to make a career out of that. Change your mind. Then change it again, because nothing is permanent."

Abel smiles proudly at Jessica. She wrote her speech in her own and she and Angela were right, it's both epic and life-changing.

"So make as many mistakes as you can. That way, someday, when they ask you again what you want to be... we won't have to guess. We'll know."
********

"I'm so proud of you," Charlie says to Abel once he's done with Bella. "Hilarie would be proud of you, too."

Abel tears up at that. "She would?"

"You are her greatest accomplishment, even if she's gone and in Heaven without us," Charlie says.

Abel hugs Charlie. Charlie's eyes widen in horror but he hugs him back.

Abel's cellphone rings and he goes a few feet away.

"Hello?"

"Is this Abel Swan?" a man asks.

"Yes, sir," Abel replies.

"Hi, Abel, this is Clarence Hobbs, the Warden at Washington State Prison," the man says.

"Oh, I haven't spoken to you since I heard about his life sentence," Abel says. "How are you, Mr. Hobbs?"

"I'm doing well," Clarence replies. "This is a courtesy call, Abel. Jason Kidd has escaped."

Charlie walks over when Abel's phone drops and shatters. "Abel?"

Emmett jogs over, having seen the phone shatter but he didn't hear the conversation. "Abe? What's wrong?"

"Jason..." Abel speaks and Charlie tenses, "he escaped."