Chapter 64

"So you haven't seen Jasper?" Abel asks Peter and Charlotte.

"Not since last year," Charlotte replies. "He and Alice came down to visit, before they went to Mississippi, and then back to Alaska."

"He called," Peter informs him. "That's how we knew this was happening. We helped him face Maria. We can handle some vampire royalty."

They glance over at Senna and Zafrina, two vampires from the Amazon. Garrett, a patriot friend of Carlisle, is following Kate around like a lost puppy. Emmett, Evan, and Rosalie found him in New York having dinner: a punk who was singing in the streets.

"It's good you're here," Abel says. "Jasper told me about you, Peter. And you, Charlotte."

"He mentioned you, as well, Abel," Charlotte says with a genuine smile. "I love the hair." 

"It's a signature look," Abel muses.

"How many came?" Carlisle asks Edward.

"Eighteen... nineteen if you include Abel coming home," Edward replies. "You have some good friends."

"And Alice? Jasper?" Esme asks.

Bella shakes her head, wordlessly saying that Alice and Jasper have not returned. Esme gives her a hug.

"We'll all be in Aro's list now," Alastair, the latest arrival, says bitterly. "Centuries on the run. That's what you've brought me. Some friend, Carlisle."

"Alistair, come meet everyone," Carlisle urges.

"I already told you," Alastair says, "if it comes to a fight, I won't stand against the Volturi."

"It won't come to a fight," Carlisle claims.

"I'll be in the attic," the vampire says before he jumps onto the roof and walks off.

"He's not a people person," Esme says.

Abel watches the roof for a moment before he shrugs. He turns to see Emmett chatting with Liam - an Irish vampire -, Eleazar, Tanya, and Eleazar. He finishes up his conversation with Charlotte and Peter and he goes to hang out with Benjamin and Tia some more, and they introduce him to Amun and Kebi properly.