Chapter 48

"I learned that I could do online courses via video chat with a professor at the culinary school," Abel says to Emmett as they sit in the dining room of the apartment, Abel eating some roasted chicken he cooked for himself. "They sent me the official site where I can do that. Can we move to the house after graduation? I want to use Esme's kitchen when classes start."

"We can," Emmett replies as he watches Abel eat. "I miss eating human food. My mom cooked a lot of game because we hunted for our food. Me, my dad, my brothers."

"What was your favorite?"

"Deer and rabbit," Emmett admits. "One day in 1935 when I was twenty, I was out hunting with Gavin, my older brother, and a Grizzly came out because we came too close to her hidden cub. I tried scaring her off but..."

"Mama bears are fiercely protective," Abel says.

"Exactly," Emmett says. "The mama bear stood on her hind legs and roared. Gavin ran, I think he might've pissed his pants, too." He smirks. "I stayed. I wasn't scared. Stupid, but not scared. Mama Bear's claws got my face and my chest. Rosalie and Evan found me. I thought Rosalie was an Angel. I thought I was already dead. She brought me to Carlisle, and he bit me."

"You were twenty in 1935?"

"My date of birth was January 3, 1915," Emmett says.

"You're old," Abel says.

"I am not!" Emmett gapes and Abel smiles. "I'm only ninety-one."

Abel raises an eyebrow. 

Emmett throws a carrot at him. "Shut up," he scolds, rolling his eyes.

Abel smiles and he stands up. He walks around the table and he straddles Emmett's lap. Emmett's arms snake around his mate and they kiss softly before Abel hugs Emmett, burying his face in his neck. Emmett holds him there and he exhales in content.