(Chapter 10) Promise Part 2

The game had already begun, and instantly my peerage and I were on the move. With efficiency, we maneuvered like a well trained strike squad through the familiar building. We passed through numerous classrooms and hallways before slowing down at Kiba's command. He was at the front since, as a knight, his senses were sharper than the rest and he could instantly respond to most threats.

"I hear footsteps up ahead." He whispered to the rest of us while hiding behind a pillar in the building.

From down the hallway, I also heard people walking closer. It was another group, most likely members of Riser's peerage. I could sense six mana signatures walk across the wall before stopping suddenly.

"I'd suggest you come out of hiding now. Our Master is fairly impatient today." One of them calls out to us, already aware of our presence in the building. As expected, Riser was bold right from the start.

"The one prize he's set his eyes on for the longest is finally within his reach. You should honestly feel honored to hold his attention for so long."

I became irate at how they spoke, as if being desired by Riser was some great honor.

"What should we do, President?" Akeno whispered to me, asking for my guidance. I knew fights would be unavoidable, but didn't expect to run into one so soon. I already knew there were six of them, so I had to make a decision quickly. Kiba's hand was already on his sword, and so, I gave him a nod.

"On my mark."

"I never took the heiress of the Gremory household to be such a coward! If you aren't gonna come out, then we'll force you out!" They claimed I was a coward, but they were impatient. Just as they announced their attack and ran to meet us, I waved my hand to Kiba and ordered him to attack.

His speed was more than enough to catch the enemy off guard, allowing him to get behind the woman and kick her back down the hallway she came from. I only saw a glimpse of her dancer attire and realized it was one of Riser's pawns, Shuriya.

"Akeno, Koneko, move around behind the opponent and flank them while Kiba and I draw their attention." I issued orders to the other team while walking out with poise behind my knight. I needed to make them think it was just me and Kiba here so the others could get into position to strike.

"For a couple of low-class devils, you all have quite the attitude towards your superior. Though, knowing that man is your Master, it makes sense you were raised without manners." Standing in front of me, I saw more of Riser's pawns and a rook. Two in maid uniforms and two little girls with green hair...and chainsaws for some reason.

"You'll have to forgive them for their arrogance, Lady Rias. But, you must also understand. Our Master has been waiting ten long days for this battle to start. He's been quite...insatiable while thinking of you. You'll have to understand why they hold a slight grudge against you for holding out Master's attention." The tall rook with a half-mask over her face is the only one to speak to me with respect, but her comment makes me sneer. He's just the pig I imagined him to be.

"Even so, that doesn't give them the right to disrespect my Lady. You are referring to one of the three great families, so show some respect." Kiba seems to voice his anger in my stead while brandishing his sword.

"You must be the knight of Rias Gremory. You have my respect for standing up to numbers like these. As long as you can beat me in combat, I'll make sure these three take back the words they said about your mistress."

"Then I have no other option than to best you!" Seemingly enjoying the challenge, Kiba leaps forward to fight off against what I believe to be Isabela, Riser's rook.

Her bare fist and Kiba's blade collided, causing a shock wave to break the nearby windows. The sword Kiba favored swung within the night air, leaving white arcs in its wake as he lunged forward. Isabella fought back with impressive agility and did her best to land punches whenever she could, but Kiba was swift enough to move out the way and narrowly dodge her attacks.