Part - XXXIX

Nov 15, 2023
12:12

It was finally Friday. Naruto had knocked on Sasuke's door to see if he was ready to leave, and they had quickly packed up together to head home. They took the elevator down to the parking garage, and got into Sasuke's car.

Sasuke had been debating whether to ease into the topic or dive right in. In the end, he decided to stick with the approach that tended to work best for him, and be direct. Itachi was right. There was no sense pretending to be someone he wasn't. Plus, there was too much risk that the small degree of separation would grow and doubts would start to creep back in on both sides. It was not a risk he was willing to take. He had waited two months. That was more than any sane person could have expected him to hold out.

"I've been thinking about selling my apartment, Sasuke said without preamble. "I have a realtor coming tomorrow afternoon to talk with us about it."

Naruto's head snapped up, looking over at Sasuke.

"Why?"

"Well, it just seems a waste. We have been spending more time at your place since it's located between our office and your studio. Of the two, it makes sense to keep yours. Plus, it does have some rather good memories from our first weekend back together." Sasuke slanted a glance at Naruto, then refocused his eyes on the rush hour traffic.

Naruto smirked at the images that he recalled, but then sobered as he thought about how to respond to what Sasuke was actually saying.

"So.... you want to move in with me?"

Sasuke shrugged. "It makes the most sense,"

"I don't think my closet could hold even a quarter of your clothes," Naruto hedged.

"I could put some into storage. It doesn't really matter." Sasuke seemed very firm that this was what he wanted.

Naruto was silent, trying to process how he felt about this, and what he should say to Sasuke. "My place is really small compared to yours. And it's not exactly an impressive address."

"So? It's not like I do a lot of entertaining at my place. If we have to do something formal, we'll either do it at a restaurant or at Itachi's. It doesn't matter_."

Naruto heard the subtle stress on the last two words. "But you've always lived in really formal, expensive places, I just can't imagine you Sasuke glared over at him, cutting him off. "Why do you think I care about any of that at all? My family comes from money, yes, so I grew up with expensive things, fine. But that doesn't mean I care about that. It was just more of a habit, and following up with people's expectations. I asked my realtor to find me a place, and he picked one that matched his expectations with what he assumed I wanted."

Naruto shifted in his seat. This was unexpected. Why was Sasuke wanting to move into his much smaller, much less nice apartment? He knew that Sasuke was trying to make a point with this. But he was not sure he wanted to push too hard on what that point was because he had been trying very hard to avoid the subject entirely. But apparently, Sasuke wasn't going to let the topic drop.

"Why don't you want to talk about moving in with together?"

Naruto looked down, shrugging. "I'm not saying I don't want to live together at all. But it just feels like something we don't need to rush into. I mean, we sleep together every night. It shouldn't matter if we have one place or two."

Sasuke looked at him, trying to decide if Naruto was trying to dodge the question, or if he really didn't know the answer himself. He was leaning towards a combination of the two. They had arrived at Naruto's place, and Sasuke parked the car in silence.